454 Chev VS. Powerstroke

Initail investment to tow 90% of the time

10000 for 1997 K3500 ext cab 454 loaded 58Kmiles 15000 for 1995 F350 4x4 XLT package 158kMiles fuel economy is no brainer, but the fuel oil cost and higher mainante costs?? I don;t care about gas burned, just need to drag around a trailer around. ANy suggestions???
Reply to
Todd Huffines

----------------------------------------------------- Let's see..Besides the fact that you're asking this Q in a Chevy group! You could buy the Chevy for 10K, OR Spend 5K more to get a Powersmoke that is 2 years older,with 100,000 more miles on it. Troll,right? Brian O.

********************
Reply to
Brian Orion

Chevy fan or not, from my experience, the Powerstroke is to be avoided! Look for a Dodge with a Cummins if you don't want a 6.5TD or Duramax. Cummins is probably the best diesel on the market! Diesels will run longer, typically get better mileage, but Powerstrokes aint worth the metal they are made out of...IMHO!

Reply to
Shades

Or get a 460 Ford. Hey, it IS Friday:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

If ya wanna talk Ford power, gimme a 390 before a 460 any day. Just make sure it has ARP rod bolts!

Reply to
Shades

The 454 can be a absolute torque monster at low rpm using a mild cam, square-bore carb, full length hedders and ignition upgrades. I would go with the Fat Rat b4 i built a Ford Powerstroke. The Duramax is a fine unit that is upgradeable and the Cummins is unstoppable. Choose a powerplant that is OVERKILL for your needs and it will live a long and fruitful life.

Reply to
Mad Dog

Duramax... If you are towing, go Diesel, 4500 Chevy can out haul the Ford.

Reply to
Kenner Costen