4L60E From V8 >>V6 okay to swap?

I am trying to find out if a 4L60E pulled from a V8 K1500 will work in my V6 K1500. They're the same model year, just wonder if there were any differences that would prevent it from working properly?

TIA!

Reply to
1guygarage

I do not see any real issues here. One possible side effect is that V8 tranny may have higher line pressure and may shift a little firmer/quicker with smaller engine as there is less torque to overcome on shift.

Reply to
SnoMan

| > TIA! | >

| | I do not see any real issues here. One possible side effect is that V8 | tranny may have higher line pressure and may shift a little | firmer/quicker with smaller engine as there is less torque to overcome | on shift.

The torque convertor is different as well as the valve body and front pump body to accomodate the larger size engine and shifting need of the V-8. Also, the V-8 transmission has one extra friciton and steel place in the low clutch pack to handle the larger loads tranferred from the engine.

There may be other differences as well since four wheel drive is involved.

If you're going to use the 4L60E from the V-8, remove the pan and swap valve bodies, front pumps and torque convertors. Be very careful while swapping the valve body. There are several steel balls that MUST remain in their proper location for the transmission to shift properly. Since we're talking about an electronic shifting transmission, the computer won't be able to command the transmission to shift at the proper points if the valve body and torque convertor aren't handling the corrent pressures.

Good luck if you decide to proceed.

Reply to
Steve

I disagree on all of these differences. Yes torque converter could be different but they would swap out easily. (you could use V8 converter it just would be a bit tighter and stall a bit lower in speed) On valve body, the 4L60E is controlled by the ECM on shifting points, not valve body unlike a 700R4. (A 4L60E is little more than a 700R4 with a ECM controlled valve body) Since V6 ECM is in truck, no issues here. On clutches, Unless the V6 happens to have the little know 4L30 in it now (which is very unlikely in a full sized P/U) The basic tranny should be the same. GM did not want these to be too different on assembly line to control costs and the LD version of the 4L60e was indeed made but it was called a 4L30e. (4L30 also came with two different gear ratio ranges too and of which neither was same as 4L60e)

Reply to
SnoMan

Yes, the torque converter is different. But as to the other alleged differences seems like every transmission and hi-perf forum says that the internals are the same and they are interchangeable without issue. Please cite references to back up your claim that the 4.3 V6 4L60E has a completely different vavlve body and fewer clutch packs than the V8 4L60E.

Reply to
Augustus

One thing you do need to avoid with GM tranny swaps is using 2wd trannies in place of 4x4 ones which does not appear to be a issue here. It is not just a matter swapping tail shafts because 4x4 trannies have a much thicker/stronger casting in housing to absorb/control Tcase counter torque in low range and transfer it to engine and engine mounts. The tranny is the only thing that keeps Tcase for twisting right out of there from counter torque. I few have found out the hard way and broken some transmission cases.

Reply to
SnoMan

| >> There may be other differences as well since four wheel drive is | >> involved. | | | Yes, the torque converter is different. But as to the other alleged | differences seems like every transmission and hi-perf forum says that the | internals are the same and they are interchangeable without issue. Please | cite references to back up your claim that the 4.3 V6 4L60E has a completely | different vavlve body and fewer clutch packs than the V8 4L60E. |

Please see my tag line. You can believe what you want. I state what I know to be true from my real life experience.

Reply to
Steve

I can read your tag line just fine.....but if after 35 years of GM parts experience and accessing their online database you can't cite a single valid reference to the 4.3L 4L60E having a different valve body or differing number of clutch packs than the V8 version whereas close to a dozen transmission and performance forums where the posts are answered by the moderators and members who are long time transmission mechanics say it's a myth and the only difference is the converter.....well lets just say I need more evidence than a tag line

Reply to
Augustus