4l60e transmission

I have been watching this newsgroup for a while and it seems there are some very knowledgable people in here. I'm looking for some advice.

I have a '95 Jimmy full-time 4x4. The transmission went yesterday (slipping terribly, burnt fluid, particles in the fluid...). I'm trying to decide what to do.

I took it to a local transmission repair shop (seems reputable - recommended by both a service station owner I know well and by the local GM dealer). Was told it needs a full rebuild. I agree. He quoted me $1600 with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Is this a good price?

I've also seen rebuilt transmissions on e-bay for as little as $650 plus shipping from a place called Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions. This would put me at about $800 and I install the transmission myself.

I've also found a used transmission that I'm told was rebuilt 28,000 miles ago (who knows?) for $400. Again I would install it myself.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I live in State College, PA if anyone knows of a good reasonable shop.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Burkett

get it rebuilt.

yep...

will they stand by the trans 100% (including R&R)... I doubt it.

As Gary would say... *you* had a good used transmission 50 miles ago. bigtime gamble, IMHO.

I'd have them rebuild it... I went through the "good used trans" route once... never again.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

The local Chevy dealer installed a reconditioned (they ordered it rebuilt from GM) 4T60E in my 1994 Z34. Charged me $1600.00 installed and it has a GM warranty of 3 years or 36,000 miles that's covered by all GM dealers nationwide.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

I have a 95 Sonoma 4x4 with the same tranny. Same prob with the trans last year. went to a junk yard and pulled one from a same year sonoma and installed it in mine myself. I've put 18K on it since then and its still running strong. Paid some elbow grease and $250 for the whole deal.

Reply to
Another Anonymous

Reply to
Robert Ball