4x4 engage problem

Can't get the front to lock in to 4wd ... the transfer case goes through all the gears but front wheels don't do squat. Is there a test I can do to
see if the locking hiubs are broke etc.. thanx
Chevrolet-does this have a year, make and model?? Also is is manual or electronic 4wd? Some of this may help us to help you-is the transfer case locking in? Is the slip shaft locked in, in 4wd? snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com
Chevrolet wrote:

duh... me bad :) 1981 K20 TH350 manual hubs with lock and free seting.

Check to see if hubs are over packed with grease. It is a common mistake that will prevent them from engaging properly in cold weather. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
took the caps off... like brand new/.. packed over kill full of grease.. clean too.. I don't get it.. Maybe the ring gear is broke.. I'll jack it up tomorrow on jack stands and look underneath while someone is idling it in drive to see if the drive shafts are both moving etc. THEN I'll pull the pot off and see if I see hamster shavings.. If so I'm rippong the back off and 3:42 are going in.. posi front and back BONG! instead of the guessing standard 2:73 that came with BO LO setup.

There is you problem, too much grease. You want to use it very sparingly in lockup hubs because it will prevent their operation in cold weather if packed full of grease. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
well all.. I found the problem. This truck had al time 4wd setup and the person before me tried puttting the lock/unlock style hub on it without
message

That would not prevent front axle from receiving power. Sound like they had a internal Tcase failure and switched to 2wd. It is possible that interal drive chain has failed that powers front. Try removing rear drive shaft and use 4wd lockand see if it will try to drive front drive shaft. If not you have a serious problem. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
If I push the gear in both side locks and 4wd works ... if it is not locked in then it won't get power...I know that.. but when I shove them in manually I have 4wd so I have no clue why your saying chain steady.. you are forgetting I sawapped this out of a working 4x4.. the only thing not from the swap is the front axle..

I guess I am not understaning you correctly. If you have a automatic it came with a NP203 full time chian drive Tcase. There was some after market kits to convert it to part time but it still had a chain to drive front axle. On the hubs, I am not sure which style you have but some have the gear on axle riding in a sleeve that keep it close to hub gear so the gear cammed from hub selector needs to travel maybe 1/4 inch max to engage axle. If this sleeve or ring the hold this gear on alxe in place in missing, the hubs will never engage. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
the truck is an old 81 , I put a th350 auto on 350 tbi motor the axles are stock 2:73 stock front and rear from BO LO setup that came with the truck. I was told the BO LO sucked for everyday driving so I swapped it to TH350 It seems weird the hubs when you turn to engage are going in quite far but not far enough to lock the axles.. like I said before almost 1/4 inch short..If I remove the hub and shove it in by finger and rotate wheel while jacked up..it locks.. so parts are missing on both sides or the wreckers is right and they didn't grab the complete parts to install locking hubs to convert from full time locked to maual locking.. They seemed to have ran into this problem so I asked them if they had an 8 bolt diff ,that was tested and working and they pointed me to a 1981 chev th400 auto setup with locking hubs.. so tomorrow I am taking all the guts both sides to the lock nut.. IF that fails I am going back with torches and taking the front and rear diff as they are 4:11....yes shitty highway mileag good for back ups of the back ups lol

Actually I do not think you will get worse MPG than you are now, especailly if you run bigger tires. GM had no bussiness ever putting 2.73 in a 4x4. I would personally go for 4.10 axles. I would not own a 4x4 that did not have at least 3.73's in it and I have owned several during last 30 years with 4.10's and one with a 4.56. Never regreted having 4.10a in any of them and actaully wished it was even deeper a few times ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
208 G tag on transfer case