4x4 not working?

'97 Sierra 1500 4x4. No trouble codes in transfer case control module. I can hear the transfer case shift. I can fell that the transfer case goes to 4 low. But push button indicator lights keep blinking - which means
front axle is not engaged. I suspect the 'thermal actuator' is not working, and thus the front axle is not engaging. Sound right to you? Is something else more likely? Thanks, Cal

Is it going into four wheel drive?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040702020109030604060407 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Advocate wrote:

--------------040702020109030604060407--

If there is question about 4hi working then that point to front axle disconnect as it must engage for light to stop blinking. THe engaging of low range or 4hi in Tcase is a seperate function from front axle engaging. Low range can engage without front axle engaging. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050809090901030408090409 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
SnoMan wrote:

Yes - mostly. 2 low can engage without the front axle engaging. Without the front axle, there is no 4 wheel drive. The front axle must engage to stop the blinking, as I said. Would you suspect the 'thermal' actuator is the problem, or what? Just looking for a little confimation before I start disconnecting things to check voltages. (I should not have referred to the tc shifting to low range as '4 low') Cal
--------------050809090901030408090409 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------050809090901030408090409--

THe thermal actuators are not known for long service life. Some time around 1997 or so GM switch to a servo driven actuator that is more relaible. It can be retrofited to a earlier model. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
the thermal actuator is a problem and should be replaced with the newer type which has a motor driven engagement. 1 hour to replace easy and about 100 bucks. works great and is well worth it if that is your problem. old john

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090102070003030101020200 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

--------------090102070003030101020200--
cew wrote:

I just replaced the actuator in my 1997 K1500 Z71 3 weeks ago. Actuator part #26060073. You will need a new small wiring harness as well - part #12376317. I get employee discounts through my sister & pick up the parts at a GM warehouse. Actuator - $79.18. Harness - $25.51.
syoung wrote:

Fantastic. Thanks. The actuator just screws in where the old one was?

Yes and you install a modified control harness for it and you are done. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
cew wrote:

Yes, they also give you a small steel spacer that must be inserted into the axle before you screw in the new actuator.
syoung wrote:

Thanks for all the help. btw, when I look up part 26060073 on gmpartsdirect.com, it states must also get part 88959465 -- which is a 'harness K', same description as 12376317. Perhaps a slightly newer, and more expensive, version. Thanks again.
cew wrote:

Actually, I was told that there are 4 different harnesses available. I should have mentioned that, sorry. My truck has the 350 Vortec engine with the 4L60E transmission.
. .

a site for you...........
http://72.14.209.104/search?q che:d1wAAzzEomMJ:www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/4x4posi-lok/+%2B%224X4%22+%2B%22front+axle+actuator%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3&ie=UTF-8
~:~ Marsh ~sips his crownroyal.....mmmm......good~ ~:~
. .

a site for you...........
http://72.14.209.104/search?q che:d1wAAzzEomMJ:www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/4x4posi-lok/+%2B%224X4%22+%2B%22front+axle+actuator%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3&ie=UTF-8
~:~ Marsh ~sips his crownroyal.....mmmm......good~ ~:~
cew wrote:

Here's the proof. +12v at the actuator connection in 4 wheel. Actuator gets warm. But front wheel continue to rotate freely. Possibly I should have done this first --- but this way I got the right replacement part numbers! Thanks. Cal