4x4 shaft, how do you take back off?

What is that shaft that goes from transfer case to the front differential called? Does it have a specific name? I know the other is the drive shaft.

Anyhow, U-joint is bad in the front, 'one that goes into the differential', I can see it only takes 4 bolts to take off the front, but I can't figure out how the back comes off "one that goes into the transfer case". On my friend's truck '89 4x4' there is a flange that goes onto the transfer case and all you do is unbolt it. On my truck '2001 Z71' it all seems to be made into the transfer case. I know that can't be. I know it has to separate somehow. Anyone tell me how to take it off?

Friend tells me if the u-joints are still factory, you have to cut something off in order to remove the u-joint from the shaft. What is he talking about? So I will need a cutting torch?

Reply to
2 Wheels

"Front" drive shaft.

It just slides onto the output shaft that is coming out of the t/case. You will need to cut off one of the clamps, and then the shaft and boot will slide off the ouput shaft.

They are probably thinking about the plastic injection that holds the oem cups in place. You need the torch to just heat up the plastic and then it will melt and come oozing out. Then you can remove the cups as you normally would. The replacement u-joint should come with retaining clips.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks, that should be easy if it just slides off.

Should I go back with that same kind of clamp? I know you have to use a special wrench to take off those clamps and to put a new one back on. I don't have that wrench. Should I buy one? On my Polaris 4-wheeler one time I had to replace a cv boot and I just used a hose clamp.

Reply to
Brian

front drive shaft

there is the flange type and a strap type the flange type has 4 nuts and bolts the strap type has 4 nuts and 2 straps the same as the front ujoint on the diff

you have to heat them to melt the plastic that holds them in sometimes if there is no clips that hold it in you will see if you look close enough a little hole filled with plastic as you heat it a lot will shoot out of there I have used a propane torch but cutting torch is better remove the joint while its still hot clean and replace

Reply to
John C

You can buy the original style, but as you mention, it requires a special tool to re-crimp it. If you are really sneaky, you can spread the old one enough to get it off without wrecking it, and then use a pair of side cutters to re-tighten it. Or just use a hose clamp. The only advice I would give on the hose clamp is to make sure that it doesn't interfere with anything as the shaft turns. The clearances can be small and the head of the hose clamp could do some damage.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai