5.3 Liter Aluminum Block

Looking for information on the 5.3 liter aluminum block that came in my 2006 Silverado. Is the cylinder surface of these motors a cast iron sleeve or is
it a Nikasil plated bore?
Thanks, Brian

It is sleeved. GM had its fill of non sleeved motors with Vega in 70's ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
yeh, it is nice to find someone who remembers that far back(like me) old john

Oh yes, my dad even bought one (a Vega) for my mom new in 73 but that was a mistake. They fixed that engine in about 76 with sleeves but it was too late as it had a bad reputation by then. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

I used to rebuild engines for a living when I worked in this one garage. I had a friend with a monza (vega), it smoked a little... so I offered to throw rings in it. Well I never dealt with an aluminum bore like that before so I honed it and put rings in... needless to say there was no mosquitoes in area... it smoked so bad, then I found out you don't hone the cylinders in one of those... then not much after that I went to work in a garage with a guy that restored them, found out a lot but too late...

Yes it take a specail process to prep the cylinders in that engine because of the high silicone content in the block. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

I had one of the Vega's in 76' it was a 72' model.
Brian