5.3 Liter Aluminum Block

Looking for information on the 5.3 liter aluminum block that came in my 2006 Silverado. Is the cylinder surface of these motors a cast iron sleeve or is it a Nikasil plated bore?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

It is sleeved. GM had its fill of non sleeved motors with Vega in 70's

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

yeh, it is nice to find someone who remembers that far back(like me) old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Oh yes, my dad even bought one (a Vega) for my mom new in 73 but that was a mistake. They fixed that engine in about 76 with sleeves but it was too late as it had a bad reputation by then.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I used to rebuild engines for a living when I worked in this one garage. I had a friend with a monza (vega), it smoked a little... so I offered to throw rings in it. Well I never dealt with an aluminum bore like that before so I honed it and put rings in... needless to say there was no mosquitoes in area... it smoked so bad, then I found out you don't hone the cylinders in one of those... then not much after that I went to work in a garage with a guy that restored them, found out a lot but too late...

Reply to
69SScamaro

Yes it take a specail process to prep the cylinders in that engine because of the high silicone content in the block.

SnoMan

I had one of the Vega's in 76' it was a 72' model.

Brian

Reply to
diablo