5.7 Intake Manifold Gasket: Recurring?

Had to do the intake manifold gasket thing at 71k.

Now it's 140k and the radiator's gone.

But when they where checking the radiator, they noted that the intake manifold gasket was leaking.

I guess I made an unwarranted assumption back at 71k: that the failure was due to a inadequate OEM gasket and that the new one would be better.

Bad assumption? Do these things go about every 70k miles?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Shep

What year/model is this 5.7 engine? (this plays a big factor here)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Per SnoMan:

'98 Chevy 'Burb K1500

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Okay the Vortec 350 is prone to intake gasket problems.(usually coolant leakage) I had two failures on my 2000 K3500 5.7 in 35K miles!!! (it has 39K now). Once it was replaced under warranty and the other time for free by GM out of warranty. The problem is two fold. First is the gasket itself as it is made out of plastic and tends to shrink and crack with age. (they redesigned gasket a few years ago) The next is the manifold itself. The manifold/engine was designed originally to be secured with 12 bolts (2 front, 2 middle and 2 rear on each side). When they went to Vortec design for engine the did away with 2 center bolts on each side and only 8 hold it on. This causes manifold to "creep" a round a bit more over time from heating and cooling and take its toll on gaskets. It also cause intake to bow a bit because it is clamped on end and not in center as engine was originally designed (from 55 until Vortec version came out they all had 12 bolts holding it on) If you replace them again use a aftermarket FelPro or Mr Gasket intake gasket and not a factory one.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

When you replace them, you want Fel-Pro part number MS98000T

Fel-Pro makes two styles of gaskets, OEM style and the problem solver number above.

Reply to
aarcuda69062