5.7L ECM Replacement

Do to engine problems with my 97 suburban 5.7L Vortec (previously posted) I am in the process of replacing the engine. I am suspicious that the previous problems are related to the engine running way out of time. As far as I know this could be caused by a defective ECM. All that I know right now is what I was told by my local GMC dealer. They told me that if the original ECM is not working properly that it can't be reprogrammed. I will need to purchase a new ECM ($225) and then it must be programmed while it is the truck. Is there any other place to purchase a new standard ECM with the proper settings etc. or is this something that has to be done completely through my "friendly" GMC dealer? Just last week I contacted the dealer about getting a new MAF sensor.........their price quote was $456 for the sensor and $105 to put it in. You can see why I avoid having any labor done through a dealership.

MJ

Reply to
My Name

Welcome to the wonderful world of OBDII.You could probly get a remanufactured ECM for some what less than the dealer,but you still have to go to the dealer so they can work their magic to put the final touches on the re-programing. Reason being is that GM wont let this info out to the aftermarket folks.They want you to HAVE to go to them.Keep a look out also,cause its only gonna get worse.

WOODY

Reply to
Woody

Apparently the EPA requires automakers to encrypt the commands used to reprogram the ECM through the data link interface - this to prevent unauthorized modifications to the engine calibration. Of course, it seems that some folks have figured it out anyway, with those "power programmer" devices..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Also, after the new ECM is installed and programmed, you need to perform the crank position sensor variation learn procedure, which also requires a GM Tech 2 scan tool, I believe..

Reply to
Robert Hancock