5.7L engine ?

I'm looking to buy a 95 Sierra 4X4 with the above engine. However it looks just like a 307 that I had in a 72 malibu. Is GM still using that same engine? What have they done to modernize it? I can't believe that it's not fuel injected! I'm replacing an 87 Ranger with a 2.3L which appears much more modern than the 95 Sierra engine. No wonder GM is having financial problems. Comments please. TIA Tom C

Reply to
TomC

The 5.7 is a 350 c.i.

It is TB fuel injection...and is basically the same small block that you had in your 72, and your 72 had basically the same small block that were in the

50's Chevrolet V8's.

What's wrong with sticking with what works?

No wonder GM is having financial problems? Now I'm sorry I even attempted to answer your question...

Reply to
Advocate

I agree with Advocate, the chevy 350 is a masterful engine. It has not needed to change. In my opinion it was one of the worst things they could do was stop the production of the 350 in favor of the 5.3 and

6.0l engines. What I believe is causing the problems is the fact that the auto makers want 35 40 thouseand dollars for trucks, and cars. The economy thing is still going strong but gm is not going with the flow. And the autoworkers have done a wonderful job of demanding to much money for their services. They simply made gm go over seas due to the cost of keeping the workers going. just my $.02
Reply to
mudmonkey

Advocate wrote in article ...

If gasoline was still under $1.00 per gallon, nothing would be wrong.

Jeeez, don't take it personally....

Maybe a little more clarification for my post would help. I'm looking to replace my Ranger. I want to buy a boat and the Ranger isn't big enough to trailer it. So, I started looking for a bigger truck. This Sierra looked promising even though it has 155,000 miles on it. But, I was suprised to see this engine when I popped the hood. Initially, I thought that the engine must have been replaced because....well, it just looked so old. Admittedly, I've been away from GM for some years and wasn't aware of the state of technology in this vehicle. Sorry if I offended you, but it seems that a lot of other people (investors) aren't too pleased with GM.....Not to mention the thousands that are going to lose their jobs.

Reply to
TomC

I have the same truck & engine combo. Excellent engine - still strong after 257,000 miles.

Reply to
Stephen Young

the 5.7 (350) Chevy engine has always been a reasonably good performer. If you ask me its only gotten better.

Like one of the other guys said I don't follow why GM needs three versions of the small block in the pickup. I'm not even sure what they are.... something like a 4.8, a 5.3, and a 6.0 ....

Reply to
Elbert

I didn't take anything you said personally. You made a stupid statement in your first post, that's all. If one needs to explain to you why General Motors offered the small block basically unchanged for nearly 50 years, you really don't get it so the explanation falls on deaf ears. I like GM pickups.

Reply to
Advocate

For My .02: Product will not sell for any less whether built overseas or North America. The real issue is reliability (sound engineering) vs gimmicks which could have used less of. Less money spent on gimmicks would freed up resources to really FIX what needed fixing. Discounting for market share and with added gimmicks are what ails GM. Imports are not fancy, are fairly well built and run reliably to boot. To save money, cutting gimmicks would seem to me, a place to start the turnaround don't ya all think? Rolf

Reply to
nozel

There is nothing wrong with the small block engine or design even today. Any problem with one is due to quailty control, not design. It is quite likley the best eninge of its type ever built even today.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below

Michael McNeil

It has TBI (Throttle Body Injection) and there is nothing wrong with the

350 design. I was ahead of its time when it first came out and has no design flaws that need improving. THe 350 was scrapped in 02 not because it was bad but because they could build the modular 4.8/5.3/6.0 engine cheaper. The old GM small block is a tuff act to beat.
Reply to
TheSnoMan

Sure the 2.3 is more modern. The pinto didn't come out till the 70's. Where as the Small Block Chevy First Debuted in 1955, with a displacement of 265 CID.

Where as Chevy has made improvements to the block, and changed things since 1955. Ford uses a pretty much unmodied Pinto Block, with a 1989 and up cylinder head. The reason your 2.3 has 8 spark plugs is, ford could not get the engines to run clean enough. So their solution was to add another 4 spark plugs to get a more compleate burn.

As for a 86 UP 350 being the same as a 307, it's a far stronger engine.

307's 262 V8's, 70's 265 V8's are the weakest SBC's ever made. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
Bert & Sid