5.7L timing

I am in the process of putting a cam in my 99 suburban 5.7L. I aligned my dist. for #1 cyl. before removing. once I got to the harmonic balancer, I realized that the marks on the balancer and cover didn't align. Should they have aligned? Is there a trick to getting the center bolt broke loose on the crank pulley? The 3 on the outside broke loose fairly easily!

Brian

Reply to
Shredder

Brian,

You should have got the distributor to point to # 1, then lined up the mark on the balancer to 0 degrees. That would make the marks on the crank and cam sprockets line up. It's not a big deal now. Just line up the marks on the sprockets, you may have to turn the crank a smidge, and all will be fine.

I use a big rubber hammer and a good socket and breaker bar. Hold tension against the breaker bar and smack it with the rubber hammer. Just be careful.

Al

Reply to
Big Al