6.0 Litre Vortec

I'm thinking of buying one but I've heard they have problems with manifolds - anyone know anything about this?
Thanks, MZ

No problem with the manifolds on these ones. The problem you're referring to affected the 5.0, 5.7 and 7.4L Vortecs between 95-2000 with the intake manifold gaskets leaking after 50k miles or so.
Doc

Doc,
Is it the upper or lower intake on these models that leaks? What's the cause of the leak, a bad design?
Thanks Brian

Lower intake manifold gaskets. Usually leak coolant externally, but if they're left alone long enough they'll leak internally as well. I have to assume it was a design flaw in the gaskets themselves as GM released "new and improved" gaskets to fix the problem.
Ian has some pics of the old and new gasksts side by side, if he's reading this maybe he can re-post the link?
Doc

'Thanks Doc,'
breaker breaker Ian,
Would you mind reposting the link?
Thanks Brian
el Diablo wrote:

http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/DSC02384.JPG
The only real difference appears to be the metal re-enforcement around the bolt holes. The gasket material is a different color, whether that actually means something, I don't know.
Ian

Probably a different material, and the color is just a result?? I would be guessing at that.
Thanks Ian
Brian