6.5 stalling

My 94 6.5 will start up fine, but about once a day it will stop running after a couple of mins. after you let it cool down for a min or so it starts back up. I installed a new PMD and didn't fix the problem, I took it to the dealer and had them run the diagnostic on it and it came back as having vacume hoses ran wrong. Nobody has touched the motor since I bought it back in Feb and this all started in mid June. Any ideas?

Reply to
yukondiesel

Vacum hoses on a diesel? There is a vacum pump to run ventilation control. THose engine where known for injector pump issues with age and they were also quite senitive to water in fuel. (check filter/seperator for water)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
yukondiesel

It should (the light) but not always. By pump I am refering to main injector pump. They were known to last 100K or so and when they start to go bad they can have running issues. The good part is that they are not that expensive to replace on that engine vs newer ones where you will just about cry if you have to fix one of those out of warranty. Other than the pump, they are pretty reliable and i have seen some that have gone close to 300K without a overhaul and still run well.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
yukondiesel

Not sure I share that view. Injector pumps were the weak link on that motor which is basically a improved 6.2. Glow plugs next but they are not that bad to change or expensive either. At this stage you might want to get a pressure gage to monitor transfer pump pressure and see if it is keeping up with pump or not and I assume you have replaced the filter recently too?

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Where is the transfer pump ? I was told I should hear it run on ours but I can't hear it and don't know where it is to see for sure...

Reply to
69SScamaro

Vacuum runs the turbo dump doesn't it ? Ours has a vacuum hose to the turbo and a bank of solenoids.

Reply to
69SScamaro

Reply to
yukondiesel

Reply to
yukondiesel

Really need a good diesel shop for that.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan