6.5 td problems

94 6.5 td,

It is hard starting, it will run for about 5 sec and die. When I pull start it, it runs and starts fine. Also when i have somebody hitting the fuel shutoff solenoid on the pump while cranking it will stay runnning. and ones it runs its ok, no problem starting hot or hesstation either.

Is has an updated pump, FSD cooler, new starter, fuel filter, 2 new optima batteries

Any sugestions?

Reply to
Dcc

KENG

Ken's on the right track. There's a service bulletin on this and I used it on my '93 with the 6.5 TD. There's an updated combination oil press. switch/press. transmitter for this problem. What happens is the press. switch contacts in the switch develop high resistance and the voltage applied the electric fuel boost pump drops to about 7 volts. During crank, this circuit is bypassed, but you have lower voltage to pump then too due to excessive current draw to the starter. There's an updated part no. for the press. switch/ press. transmitter to take care of the problem. It's located at the back of the block behind the intake manifold and a little tough to get to. I had the exact same problem on my '93 and the new switch/transmitter fixed it. Ask a GM dealer to look up the service bulletin for you. It's very well written.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

if you have air in to line somewhere it'll do that too.

Reply to
Old Boy

Bad ground guys, that was all

Reply to