700-R4

I am having a very bad day.....all I wanted to do was change my tranny fluid and filter and low and behold I got two bolts out of the pan and was on the
third one and the head sheared right off; with the shank of the bolt still in the tranny. Now what the heck do I do? I really don't want to try and use an easy out on something like this just because I do not want to mess anything up. I didn't drive it since I broke it off, but I have a 35 mile commute to work come Monday morning.....what are your suggestions as to what I could do??
I was thinking of taking it to a shop and just get them to get it out, I am just wondering how much that's going to run me. Maybe I could drive it to work; and hope for no leaks, maybe not. I would appreciate anyone's help in this matter.
I would carefully drill a pilot hole with NEW sharp drill bit in the center of the bolt, Get a left handed extractor started in it and heat the case area with a propane torch (carefully watch for oils and such). The bolt should back out.
Brian

fluid
the
use
what
am
in
I agree, it will come out. Did the same thing on an oil pan once. It came right out. Drill into the CENTER of the bolt is important. I always center punch the bolt first. Good Luck.

still
mile
I know that you would like to fix it, but depending on how good your gasket is and which bolt it is, i would drive it and just retorque the bolts a little more if it leaks later. probably will go years without much loss. john

fluid
the
use
what
am
in
Re: " I know that you would like to fix it, but depending on how good your gasket is and which bolt it is, i would drive it and just retorque the bolts a little more if it leaks later. probably will go years without much loss. john
I am having a very bad day.....all I wanted to do was change my tranny fluid and filter and low and behold I got two bolts out of the pan and was on the third one and the head sheared right off; with the shank of the bolt still in the tranny. Now what the heck do I do? I really don't want to try and use an easy out on something like this just because I do not want to mess anything up. I didn't drive it since I broke it off, but I have a 35 mile commute to work come Monday morning.....what are your suggestions as to what I could do?? I was thinking of taking it to a shop and just get them to get it out, I am just wondering how much that's going to run me. Maybe I could drive it to work; and hope for no leaks, maybe not. I would appreciate anyone's help in this matter." --------------------------------------------------------------- I realize that this is late but I would like to add that it seems highly likely that the pan bolts were over-torqued when last tightened so you should definitely put a straight edge across the pan mating surface before installation and if there are bulges pound them flat or you will possibly have leaks whether you extract the bolt or reassemble with bolt missing. I believe the correct torque for those pan bolts is something like 10 ft-lbs only.
What he said...
I had a similar problem from the previous owner of my XJ and fixed it by taking a hammer and a socket extension to the flange on my buddy's newly epoxy-coated garage floor.
"But I thought we'd see how durable it was"
<for the record- didn't even phase the floor. Doing mine as soon as I am able to see the entire floor at one time!>
I realize that this is late but I would like to add that it seems highly likely that the pan bolts were over-torqued when last tightened so you should definitely put a straight edge across the pan mating surface before installation and if there are bulges pound them flat or you will possibly have leaks whether you extract the bolt or reassemble with bolt missing. I believe the correct torque for those pan bolts is something like 10 ft-lbs only.
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:05:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Brian Orion) wrote:

I'm going to agree. Case in point. Was working on a mid-80s Cadillac Allante w/ 4.1L -- tranny pan gasket. A couple of the bolts were broken.. The car should have been sent to shredder. Simply used the remaining good bolts (and GM obviously planned for this, because there were plenty of bolts in that tranny pan.) and the car is still fine today.. Not leaking either..
Correct torque for those bolts is in the 10-13 ft lb range.. And they need to be EVEN all the way around.
__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4