7004R-92K1500

Page 2 of 2

Yea, I don't plan on changing to a 350 for that very reason, plus I want over drive.
Some good news (at least for now). I had the trans fluid and filter changed Friday (kind of a what-the-hell-can-it-hurt) kind of deal and I have to say the truck actually runs a lot better now. No slipping at wide open throttle, no unusual noise at cold start.
I was already counting my pennies and doing the "save up!" routine.
Truck runs good. I drove it today quite a long distance and ran a number of wide open throttle runs to see how it worked. Every time performed good. We've have some pretty cold weather for our area (lows in the 20's) and I've run the truck around town a few times, and no unusual noises at cold start.
All I can say is that the trans filter must have either been a piece of crap or its was restricted somehow. IT was a GM part. This time I just bought all the stuff down at NAPA and had my buddy do the filter and trans fluid along with some other minor things.
It may meltdown tomorrow, but its running good so far. I think at next oil change, we'll do the trans filter and fluid again.
----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com
I'm glad the filter change worked/helped. I would still take it to the shop that rebuilt it and tell them what was going on, what you did, and ask them if they could do a few checks.
A tidbit of info...Changing the fluid in an auto trans takes FAR more than dropping the pan and replacing a few quarts. More like an expensive Auto Trans Flushing Machine and typically 5 gallons of fluid for a flush and fill a full size vehicle trans. About $120 around here in NW Iowa...of course I have a Buddy with an auto repair business, so it costs me less than that if I need it on any of my vehicles.

yea... I know about the fluid business. Just my habit of referring to basically swapping the fluid in the pan and replacing the filter. I realize that you can't get close to all the fluid without using one of the those pressure type machines.
I may consider get the trans "flushed" I don't know what the cost $$ runs around here. I'm not sure who even has one. I'm guessing the trans shop I used in the past since they are the biggest shop in the area.
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:54:43 -0600, "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote:>I'm glad the filter change worked/helped. I would still take it to the shop

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com
. . <<Top Post>> ========I've been watching the thread progress... and it's been doing good till now.... so let me say......
Don't.....repeat Do Not.....flush the tranny.
You're going to loosen up and dislodge the wee bits of crap that's accumulated in the nooks and crannies of that trans and that flushing machine WILL NOT.... get it all out. It WILL...however get it loose and let it start circulating around inside the unit, where it's stands a dang good chance of hang'n a valve not to mention creating a bypass leak in an apply piston or servo....or, last but not least, and also what may have been the prob all along.....hang the govenor.
But then..if you know the fluid biz..you already know that.
You did the correct thing. A basic fluid and filter. Do it again at the end of summer if you don't have any other probs before then.
~:~ MarshMonster ~Pensacola~
Elbert wrote:

I don't think I'm going to do anything on the Trans as far as getting a replacement until it starts to act up. I am going to swap out the Trans filter and 5+quarts of fluid at the next oil change.
If the Trans starts to act up then I'll buy a goodwrench transmission and go from there.
On 28 Feb 2006 01:37:01 -0800, "Marsh Monster"

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com