700r4 downshifting

About a year ago I posted a question about a 700r4 downshifting while slowing down. At first I thought it was occuring between 2nd and 1st but it's the 3-2 transition.When slowing down (foot off the gas) it goes thunk as it goes from 3 to 2, I hooked up a tach and I get a 50 - 75 rpm increase when the shift occurs. Also on the upshift from 2 to 3 it's kinda abrupt compared to all the other shift points which are very smooth. I've done the tranny oil and filter twice, checked for binds in the throttle cables, checked for vacum leaks and drive shaft hardware and pinion nut but everythings seems ok. The trucks a 87 4x4 suburban with a tbi 350 that is in great shape and runs terrific. I'd hate to have the thing commit suicide, after following the group for a years or so I know there's a wealth of knowledge here, any ideas?

Thanks Bill

Reply to
BCarney147

is the downshift 'clunk' more pronounced if the selector is in '3' instead of OD ??

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Nope, the same in D or OD, and sometimes if if I'm off the gas and coast to a stop with minimal braking it doesn't do it.

Reply to
BCarney147

He said, '3' not drive or over drive, third gear.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

'3' is 'drive'

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Funny mine was P, R, N, OD, D, 3, 2, 1 Or am I a crack head?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

no, yours was P-R-N-OD-D-2-1 or P-R-N-OD-3-2-1

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Your right, I just checked the one in the drawer next to me (auto over drive) and the one in my truck (manual OD).

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Reply to
tom davin

I'll vote for CRACK HEAD!

LOL

Refinish King

PS

The paint fumes do a gooooood job of making you high if you don't change the booth filters a day or so, when the symptoms start. So I post drivel when the booth filters are clogged and I'm feeling no pain!

Reply to
Refinish King

I don't think so, unless I missed something.

Reply to
BCarney147