700R4 kickdown cable question...

What damage can occur by not having the cable connected? I couldn't find a replacement cable today at the parts store I was at and won't have the chance to go out again tonight.
FWIW, I assume electronics are involved in the lockup on this tranny, because if you press the brake pedal hard enough to get the brake lights to come on while maintaining speed, you can feel it unlock and the engine speed increases.
I've almost got my '86 K5 back on the road. Just gotta make a few more wiring connections, replace a few vacuum lines, and put the distributor cap and plug wires on it. I'm close! :-)
~jp
The cable is a Throttle Valve cable...Kind of important. The lock up can be done with a toggle switch...But better done with an aftermarket control from TCI or B&M or the like. None are really cheap, but ALLOT less than a tranny rebuild.
My trans Guru Buddy about took a monkey wrench to my head(Literally!) when I told him I ran my TH700 without the cable(didn't have the hookup 'nipple' for the Edelbrock carb that I had just installed). It was only a few blocks, and he does tend to overreact, but his point was made.

LOL...well I knew it was important, just didn't know exactly what would happen if I ran without it.
~jp
Pressure not being routed where it should be, when it should be. Result - blown internal seals, gaskets, possible fried clutches.

I think the main problem is that the transmission does not know the load being put on it so it does not boost line pressure under load and will likely slip. This is compounded by the fact that it will shift up even under heavy load.... more slipping potential. The result will be burnt clutches.

Jon R. Pickens wrote:

    Put it like this 10 miles with NO TV Cable, or a Streached cable, plan on rebuilding your TH700R4 Charles
TV cable/Throttle Valve. A tv cable is probably the most important thing on your tranny. It kinda replaced the modulator but it acts in a totally diffrent way. The main purpose is to control transmission line pressure. without the tv cable your shift points will be off, it will upshift under load and it will not have adequate pressure on your clutch packs. In short if you want to drive it 25 mph under light throttle 1/2 mile to the store youre ok. Beyond that get ready for a rebuild.

Don't do it. The TV mechanism regulates line pressure in the trans. Without the cable connected, line pressure will be very low and there will be considerable slippage, and it will destroy the transmission in a very short time (as in minutes).

It's just a simple switch that works in tandem with the brake light switch. It interrupts the TC lock circuit when you step on the brake. You don't want the TC locked when coming to a stop.