700R4 kickdown cable question...

What damage can occur by not having the cable connected? I couldn't find a replacement cable today at the parts store I was at and won't have the chance to go out again tonight.

FWIW, I assume electronics are involved in the lockup on this tranny, because if you press the brake pedal hard enough to get the brake lights to come on while maintaining speed, you can feel it unlock and the engine speed increases.

I've almost got my '86 K5 back on the road. Just gotta make a few more wiring connections, replace a few vacuum lines, and put the distributor cap and plug wires on it. I'm close! :-)

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

The cable is a Throttle Valve cable...Kind of important. The lock up can be done with a toggle switch...But better done with an aftermarket control from TCI or B&M or the like. None are really cheap, but ALLOT less than a tranny rebuild.

My trans Guru Buddy about took a monkey wrench to my head(Literally!) when I told him I ran my TH700 without the cable(didn't have the hookup 'nipple' for the Edelbrock carb that I had just installed). It was only a few blocks, and he does tend to overreact, but his point was made.

Reply to
Shades

LOL...well I knew it was important, just didn't know exactly what would happen if I ran without it.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Pressure not being routed where it should be, when it should be. Result - blown internal seals, gaskets, possible fried clutches.

Reply to
Shades

I think the main problem is that the transmission does not know the load being put on it so it does not boost line pressure under load and will likely slip. This is compounded by the fact that it will shift up even under heavy load.... more slipping potential. The result will be burnt clutches.

Reply to
Roller

Put it like this 10 miles with NO TV Cable, or a Streached cable, plan on rebuilding your TH700R4 Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
David Johnson

Don't do it. The TV mechanism regulates line pressure in the trans. Without the cable connected, line pressure will be very low and there will be considerable slippage, and it will destroy the transmission in a very short time (as in minutes).

It's just a simple switch that works in tandem with the brake light switch. It interrupts the TC lock circuit when you step on the brake. You don't want the TC locked when coming to a stop.

Reply to
xmh31d_64