76 Chevy Blazer pitman arm, etc

I am (hopefully) halfway into replacing my old connector rod (between the pitman arm and the steering rod). I have removed the cotter pin and nut from the
portion that attaches to the pitman arm and have loosened the adjustment sleeve. The problem at this stage is I cannot get the ball joint to disconnect from the pitman arm. Before I bring on the BFH and try to knock the ball joint out of the pitman arm, is there a particular magic trick required to do this? With the difficulty I am having separating the rod/ball joint I began to think that the bolt of the ball joint was actually screwed into the pitman arm rather than simply inserted through it...but this can't be right...right? How do I get the ball joint disconnected from the pitman arm?
. . . . 76 Chevy Blazer pitman arm, etc Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Nov 21, 2003, 5:04pm From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (praedor) I am (hopefully) halfway into replacing my old connector rod (between the pitman arm and the steering rod). I have removed the cotter pin and nut from the portion that attaches to the pitman arm and have loosened the adjustment sleeve. The problem at this stage is I cannot get the ball joint to disconnect from the pitman arm. Before I bring on the BFH and try to knock the ball joint out of the pitman arm, is there a particular magic trick required to do this? With the difficulty I am having separating the rod/ball joint I began to think that the bolt of the ball joint was actually screwed into the pitman arm rather than simply inserted through it...but this can't be right...right? How do I get the ball joint disconnected from the pitman arm? ======= =======
go get yer BFH..........
it's the tool of choice
marshmonster ~:~
OTC makes a tie-rod seperator that works great on ball joints too, without cutting up the dust boot....If you use a pickle fork, it often cuts up the boot, and they are real hard to get...
Moog doesn't sell just the boot, makes ya buy the whole unit..although Motor-Mite sells boots for some ball joints
. . . Re: 76 Chevy Blazer pitman arm, etc Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Nov 21, 2003, 4:29pm (CST-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (ken)
OTC makes a tie-rod seperator that works great on ball joints too, without cutting up the dust boot....If you use a pickle fork, it often cuts up the boot, and they are real hard to get... Moog doesn't sell just the boot, makes ya buy the whole unit..although Motor-Mite sells boots for some ball joints ============== Read the OP slower.......
the part he referenced, is attached to the pitman arm............
not likely to be a "Ball Joint"....
if you read the post slower, you may be able to CENTER in on what the poster was saying, & to LINK the part to it's proper anunciation.
marshmonster
Preload the joint with the puller, with as much pressure as you can get on it, comfortably. Back the part, that has the hole in it, up with a hammer and hit on the SIDE. This will momentarily, distort the hole, and the tapered joint will pop loose. Do not try to drive it out, you'll bugger the threads. Dan
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:07:24 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Marsh Monster) wrote:

Colorado Springs, CO My advice may be worth what you paid for it.