76 Chevy Blazer pitman arm, etc

I am (hopefully) halfway into replacing my old connector rod (between the pitman arm and the steering rod). I have removed the cotter pin and nut from the portion that attaches to the pitman arm and have loosened the adjustment sleeve. The problem at this stage is I cannot get the ball joint to disconnect from the pitman arm. Before I bring on the BFH and try to knock the ball joint out of the pitman arm, is there a particular magic trick required to do this? With the difficulty I am having separating the rod/ball joint I began to think that the bolt of the ball joint was actually screwed into the pitman arm rather than simply inserted through it...but this can't be right...right? How do I get the ball joint disconnected from the pitman arm?

Reply to
praedor

. . . .

76 Chevy Blazer pitman arm, etc Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Nov 21, 2003, 5:04pm From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (praedor) I am (hopefully) halfway into replacing my old connector rod (between the pitman arm and the steering rod). I have removed the cotter pin and nut from the portion that attaches to the pitman arm and have loosened the adjustment sleeve. The problem at this stage is I cannot get the ball joint to disconnect from the pitman arm. =A0 Before I bring on the BFH and try to knock the ball joint out of the pitman arm, is there a particular magic trick required to do this? With the difficulty I am having separating the rod/ball joint I began to think that the bolt of the ball joint was actually screwed into the pitman arm rather than simply inserted through it...but this can't be right...right? How do I get the ball joint disconnected from the pitman arm? =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

go get yer BFH..........

it's the tool of choice

marshmonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

OTC makes a tie-rod seperator that works great on ball joints too, without cutting up the dust boot....If you use a pickle fork, it often cuts up the boot, and they are real hard to get...

Moog doesn't sell just the boot, makes ya buy the whole unit..although Motor-Mite sells boots for some ball joints

Reply to
ken

. . . Re: 76 Chevy Blazer pitman arm, etc Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Nov 21, 2003, 4:29pm (CST-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (ken)

OTC makes a tie-rod seperator that works great on ball joints too, without cutting up the dust boot....If you use a pickle fork, it often cuts up the boot, and they are real hard to get... Moog doesn't sell just the boot, makes ya buy the whole unit..although Motor-Mite sells boots for some ball joints ======== ========

Read the OP slower.......

the part he referenced, is attached to the pitman arm............

not likely to be a "Ball Joint"....

if you read the post slower, you may be able to CENTER in on what the poster was saying, & to LINK the part to it's proper anunciation.

marshmonster

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Colorado Springs, CO My advice may be worth what you paid for it.

Reply to
Dan Dunphy