79 chevy blazer w/350 and 4x4 stock full size won't idle...

"" wrote: > "NCIII" wrote in message > news:3UXwe.11116$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net... > >

When a vehical vapor locks it is because the fuel in the line under hood gets hot enough the boil to vapor under pressure and only vapor is delivered until line is purged. A electric fuel pump can boost pressure and raise vapor temp enough to keep fuel in a liquid state longer. I would still strongly recommand you get a vacum gauge to put on engine to see what it is doing as you try to bring timing back because I still do belive that we are dealing with a vacum leak here that over advanced timing allow it to idle with lean mixtures cause by leak. You can tell a lot about a old engine with a vacum gauge and it is a good tool to have.

Reply to
SnoMan

Why? If he would get a vacum gauge and do a few tests he could find out what is going on. Without one he is shooting in the dark though at this stage.

Reply to
SnoMan

"" wrote: > D.L. Man wrote in message > news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... > >

Around and around they go with out doing the basic vacum check. Do you want to really help this guy or not?

Reply to
SnoMan

Snipped

Ok say I have a tester. What should I look for? If I find a line with no vacuum what should I do?

I can get one from the store. I found out they rent them.

Reply to
D.L. Man

If you have your timing out by one to two Inches off the timing pointer, you have a problem. If you can't set initial valve lash with out geussing your at TDC on the compression stroke, and you don't bother to do a final valve lash. How do you expect this guy to check his vaccume?

Vaccume gauges are more for setting up carburators then for generial engine tuning. Their aaint many tests needed to be done on a old school small block. If you have the proper compression, and the cylinders don't leak down. If the cooling system holds pressure, and it pulls vaccume your good to go. If your Initial Timing is set right, your cam timing is right, setting ignition timing is a snap.

This guy does not seam to be grasping the basics of correct repair proceedures. At this point he should seek help from a professional.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Forgot to ask...are you trying to set the timing with the vacuum going to the distributor connected. This should be disconnected and the source closed off when setting the base timing. Reconnecting the vacuum will pull the mark past the "thingy".

Reply to
NCIII

"" wrote: > D.L. Man wrote in message > news:RsydnTGyzeg snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... > >

You could have had a handle on this a day or two ago if you would go to the basic vacum testing first.

Reply to
SnoMan

I disconnected the vacuum advance and plugged it. I restabbed the distributor too. This time I cranked the crank shaft over by hand to make sure that the timing is set. I think that I have a problem with the vacuum lines. I don't get any sucking coming from them. I need to know where I can find a vacuum diagram. The one under the hood is gone. Is there and online source? It has an EGR, and cats.No other emissions crap.

Reply to
D.L. Man