79 chevy blazer w/350 and 4x4 stock full size won't idle...

Page 2 of 2
"D.L. Man" wrote:

When you set the "lash" on that year engine, the correct why is to make sure you are on the correct spot for that cylinder and then tighten rocker stud bolt to zero clearance then add 3/4 of a turn more for proper preload and posititioning of plunger in lifter bore.
✖
"NCIII" wrote:

the
A vacum leak is not going to show up in a compression check! He need to buy or borrow a vacum gauge as it will tell you EXACTLY what is wrong (if it is a leak and how bad it is. That year engine should idle at around 16 to 20 inches or vacum and hold that range as reved up under no load once RPM’s stabilizes. If you are seeing a lot less vacum then you have a leak. If the vacum gage fluxs badly it could point to valve problems or improper lifter adjustment.
✖

Not looking for vacuum leak at this point. He had the heads off. Engine won't idle. Backfiring thru carb. He said he's not convinced that the valves are set correctly. His method of adjustment indicates that they probably are not. I'm suggesting a compression check to see what he has or reset in a different manner.

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-79-chevy-blazer-350-4x4-stock-full-size - idle-ftopict126381.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pa8357
Add pictures here
✖
"NCIII" wrote:

I understand what you are saying but a misadjusted lifter may or may not show up in a compression test becuase it has not pumped up yet. Also a bad vacum leak will cause very lean mixtures in some cylinders and can cause severe back firing too. In the mid to late 70’s, new cars backfired a LOT through carbs, especailly when cold because of very lean cold mixtures for emissions purposes. A overly lean engine mixture can backfire through carb a lot but granted is not the only cause of it but one of the most common causes.
Add pictures here
✖
Valves adjusted ok. Any backfiring thru the carb.

on.
lines
if
Add pictures here
✖

Some but it could be the timing issue because it clears up when I adjust it out.
Add pictures here
✖
Might be worth it to get a hold of a compression tester and find out if each cylinder is capable of creating vacuum.

it
Add pictures here
✖
"" wrote: > Might be worth it to get a hold of a compression tester and > find out if each > cylinder is capable of creating vacuum. > >
I would aquire a vacum gauge too because it could be VERY helpful here.
✖