81 305 - smoking

I have a well used 81 Blazer w/ a 305 motor. The engine smokes quite a bit, and the smoke doesn't change based on temperature of the motor, or load. The smell isn't that bad, but it 'burns' your eyes in a garage.
The smoke is a bluish gray in color
I rebuilt the carb, changed all the plugs/cap/rotor. None of the plugs were fouled.
I am thinking it's heavily worn valve stems, but I am also concerned it's worn rings. Is there a way to identify one or another?
Compression check
or Take the pcv valve out of the rocker covers and if u get lots of smoke coming from the Hole in the valve cover , while engine is running, Then your RINGS need changing
WetMonkey wrote:

--
It Doesnot Take Brains To
Get A High Paying Job!

It sounds more like rings than anything else. Try a fresh change with 15w40, (not 10w40) as that should cut the smoke down a good bit while you ponder your future options. For what it is worth you can safely run a oil burner for a very long time as long as you keep it full of oil and still change it regularly too. Vavle guide seal usually smoke a bit of startup and raise oil consumption overall but rarely smoke like you describe. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Dont forget to substitute a litre of oil with Lucas. It helps big time raise oil pressure and it decrease the oil consumption by half.I also agree with running thicker oil in an oil burnin rig.
SnoMan wrote:

I have a feeling this is what it is.. I appreciate the advice on the heavier oil. I am in Florida, and imagine the warmer temps thins the oil out a bit more.
Thanks to everyone that responded!