86 Chevt Tahoe 4x4 info

I just bought a new to me 4x4 S14 Tahoe, is there anything I should know of or do to insure that it will service me well? Also, is it common for the engine to run faster when in four wheel drive?

Reply to
nubee

Are you talking about a Chevy S-10 Blazer?

If so, the 2.8 is fairly reliable but a bit under-powered, the transmission is ok but allot better just a few years newer, the front suspension is like the '70's Novas...ok, but not real good without upgrades. The body is very prone to rust! As with most used vehicles, change ALL fluids and filters and give it a GOOD once over! Double check ball-joints, CV shafts, idler arm, and rear pumpkin and bearings. Depending on how many miles are on it, replace the water pump and timing set for safety and piece of mind.

They are fun rides for mild off roading. They are very maneuverable and even ride pretty good for commuting. With a small pop-up camper in tow, they are great for a small Family to go camping. There is a decent selection of aftermarket parts to upgrade and are even big enough for a small block V-8 swap, though parts breakage could become an issue.

As for the engine running faster in 4WD, something sounds hinky...is it ALLOT faster or just a hundred RPM or so?

Reply to
Shades

The truck says S10 on the bed but the title says S14? and the rpm's go to about 350 when idling in 4wd,then when I've shifted to neutral it slows down to a normal sounding idle speed? Thanks for the info and advise. So far, one day after purchase, I like the way it drives. In 2wd its great on the road. It did set for 4 mo's, is there anything that needs particular attention? I also took it for full service, oil, lube, filters,etc. Again thanks for the info.nubee

Reply to
nubee

P.S. it's not a Blazer

Reply to
nubee

So is it a Jimmy? They didn't have Tahoe's in '86.

Reply to
Shades

Its definatly a Chevy and its also a Tahoe? On the bed in the rear close to the tailgate it says Tahoe 4x4.Maybe its a late issue or a pre 87 model, I don't know. Can you recommend a good manual or service book for this truck? I think under this circumstance I'd better find out exactly what I did buy.

Reply to
nubee

Chevrolet introduced the Tahoe in 1995. It wasn't a pickup.

Reply to
Lance LaFrinier

Tahoe is a trim level on a S 10, my '89 had a Tahoe pkg. in it. Includes emblems on the glove box and outside on the body some years.

Reply to
Repairman

Thanks Repairman, could you elaborate some more about what that Tahoe pkg. is all about? And can you tell me perhaps why my engine speeds up intermittantly when I shift into 4wd? Also is it difficult to shift into

4wd low range or is there perhaps something not right with some sensor or mechanism causing difficulty? Thanks again, nubee
Reply to
nubee

S-14 is the vin code for a 2WD Blazer. 4WD is T, Pick up is 13.. so a

4WD pick up is a T-14. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig

Interesting particulars that I will need to keep in mind. Thanx Charles!

Reply to
Shades

The car dealership editions on N.A.D.A. price guides list Vin codes for Models, Engines, 2 vs 4wd. GRVW's and other info.

If you buy and sell a few cars a year it's worth picking one up. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig