86 S-10 4x4 shift cable

Hi all. Anyone know how much travel there should be in the shift cable for locking the front hubs? I'm trying to fix the 4wd and when I pull the cable at the
vacuum actuator, it disconnects from the connection at the shift fork in the housing. I just got this Blazer and can't get the front axles to lock in. I know about the switch and lines and actuator but I think the problem is with the actual connection of the cable to the shift fork. Any help????? Thx.......