87 3/4 Ton Steering Slop

I have an 87 3/4 ton 4x4 Silverado with power steering. I have to turn the steering wheel about 1/4 of a complete revolution before the wheels are affected. The steering gearbox must have an adjustment but, there
is little to no useful information in my Haynes manual.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. It has new tie rod ends and steering damper. Also, new upper and lower ball joints.
Jake292 wrote:

Move the wheel in the free play area and have some one look at the pitman movement on the gear box, if none ,some adjustment can be made, but usually not that much. The pitman shaft adjustment is on the top of the gear box, this can be tricky because an over adjustment can cause a lack or returnability.

-

you'll also want to look at the steering coupler (rag joint).. after 20 years it could be worn to the point of hitting the safety stops to turn the steering box. that's what happening on my '88, but I've just not gotten around to pulling the shaft and replacing the rubber disc.
-Bret

Ok, the steering coupler looks very good (I should mention that I have not owned this truck long). Any improvement that can be made would be great. The play in the steering allows these back country roads to direct the wheels anywhere the road sees fit. The only thing that looks like an adjustment on the steering gearbox is a nut and bolt in the middle of a small plate on the top. If this is the adjustment, I assume that I back the nut off and drive the bolt. However, what do I drive that bolt with? I didn't see a slot for a screw driver.
Shep wrote:

Allen-wrench... and be EXTRA careful not to go too far. Did you check the drag link ends? Did you have it professionally aligned after the ball joint and tie rod end replacement?

I have not had an alignment yet. When I replaced the tie rod ends, I carefully measured and matched the distance from the center of the insertion bolt to the tie rod itself. I was very accurate but still wanted to eventually have a pro alignment. Would that effect steering slop? Don't laugh but, what is a drag link?
Shades wrote:

A drag link is the HD tie rod looking thing going from the pitman arm on the bottom of the steering box to the steering arm attached to the left steering knuckle.
...and yes, too much toe-in would feel like steering slop and too much toe-out would make the truck wander.

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:49:26 -0500, "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote:>A drag link is the HD tie rod looking thing going from the pitman arm on the

An alignment is a good idea. They will find and report problems that affect the steering and those problems need repairs BEFORE the wheels can be aligned. This can be money well spent. Saving the money can prove often to be false economy.
--
Regards
Gordie

Jake292 wrote:

    If none of the steering items are worn, I would replace the gear box. A good used one from a salvage yard should not cost more then $50 at most. You can get a good rebuilt unit from Lee Manufactoring. Charles
Also look and see if the shaft coming out of the bottom of the steering box that the pitman arm is mounted to (sector shaft) if it is rocking in the bushing on the bottom of the box. We have one of our trucks that has a lot of play in that...