87 K5 engine swap or rebuild?

My 87 K5 has 265k on it and I want to either rebuild or buy a crate motor. JEG only has a 190 HP motor for TBI motors (87-92). The local engine builder says he can't increase compression because of the computer and get it to run right) If anyone has had this problem and knows a way to get 250-270 HP on a 87 TBI engine please let me konw

C. W. Adams --- snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

Reply to
cwadams

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:31:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com wrote:

That is BS on the compression ratio, you can raise it as much as you want as long as you feed it the proper octane for GR being used Forget about 87 and maybe 89 if you raise it because the knock control on that series engine has limited retard abilty for knock control and besides when you retard spark to control knock you loose power plain and simple. The TBI is kinda choked by design but it will wram up nicely with a better intake manifold and a little bigger TBI unt toghether with a little warmer cam too. Something like a CC H260 should play nicely and get along with computer too. Nice thing about TBI motors is that you can still manually set base timing to greater total advance with a high octane diet. I have done this for many years with a 89 4x4 burb. I run 8 BTDC and 93 octane year round and it still runs like a champ after 180K+ miles and gets MPG beyond belief on long trips too. It will do a honest 18 MPG at 65 to 70 on a 500 to 600 mile trip on one tank with ease with its 40 gallon tank (these numbers are based on such fillups) Never get below 17 or so that I have seen in recent years. When it was new I tried running 87 for a few years but it was a slug and prone to knock at times. Know it never knocks and rarely even shifts out of OD on interstated hills. I also own a 5.7 Vortec ins 2000 one ton and it has more power above 3000 RPM by a noticable amount but I love the way the TBI pulling at lower RPM's and the tranny calibration that takes advantage of this. (it pulls OD lock from 35 MPH without any effort and does not down shift unless you crowd it.)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan