87 S-10 engine replacement

I am putting a new motor is my 87 s-10. It has a 2.8 with a 5 speed. I have a new ( donor) motor but have been told I will have to pull my front diff to get the motor and tranny together with the manual tranny. Anyone done this without removing the diff? I have never taken out a front diff on a torsion bar type suspension. Any suggestions? Thanks-- LKN4SNO

Reply to
LKN4SNO

Don't think ya gotta mess with the front diff. at all You will need to break apart the body and frame to get the new engine in and may need to slide back the trani/transaxle unit to get the old one out

Reply to
ken

You do not need to break apart the body and frame, and you don't have to pull the front diff.

I got my 89 4.3 in and out without doing either. It's a lot larger than the little 2.8.....

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

It just made it a lot easier with several inches of clearence....both on a 2.8 L and a 4.3 L

Reply to
ken