'87 Suburban, help diagnose engine problems (long)

Page 2 of 3

Gary, I believe you're right!

So do I!
Hatt

Hell I live in the Great White North, with copus amount of salt, and around here we oil spray every year to keep rust at bay. My 89 astro's body is as pristine as the day I bought it and it is now at 350,000 km with original tranny and motor and still running strong and burning no oil.
In article

I'm not talking about my personal vehicle(s).
I can only exert influence on a small portion of the 3 million or so vehicles running around on Wisconsin roads.

chrome, what is this "oil spray" all about?
Hatt
Used to see a lot of people doing this. You basically pop off panels and wash out the crud, then spray motor oil or trans fluid into the body cavities like you were doing undercoating but it doesn't dry out. Then you wait till it finishes dripping out and spray under the body as well and inside the frame rails. Done every 6 months to a year it will really keep the rust away. I also know at least one person who also wipes down the entire body with oil but I think that is a bit too far.
--
Steve Williams

"DJ Hatt" < snipped-for-privacy@lycosSPAM.com> wrote in message
The technology has moved on from the days of using motor oil or tranny fluid. In canada we have two franchises, crown and rust check that that use specially formulated oils designed specifically for rust proofing. Along with them there many independent shops using various concotions. The system I use is from a body shop I know. The use a thicker gel type oil spray on the undercarriage and thin oil in the panels. The oils are special mixtures used on ships and rigs in marine enviroments where special oils sprays for corrosion control (as you can imaging, salt water is a tough enviroment) are very common. Very powerful stuff. The best out there. I do it before every winter.
The other dimension to body preservation is external paint care. This envolves checking for paint chips and sealing them (clear nail polish for small one is great, body shop for major ones), and waxing with high quality wax twice a year, once before the summer and once before the winter.
My brother is into the same maintence (also very frequent oil, tranny, power, diff etc fluid changes ) as me and he has an 87 astro with 750,000 km with only a tranny rebuild at 500,000 along with some front end renewal, the roads are hell around here) and the van looks like new and the motor is still in decent shape. Not bad for a vechicle driven year round in winter climes with lots of salt.
We both drive astros, with corvettes (2003 convertibles) for second cars. It is amazing the money you save when you drive an easy and cheap to maintain vechicle for decades.

Maybe thats why no one knows how to fix them?

Kinda like you? you mean?

No one? That's an awful lot of people. [snip]

Yeah? maybe? like? me?
I just thought of something does Mr Beyond Reproach "127.0.0.1"

I will try to get one.

Tires and speedometer problems both came with the vehicle. The speedometer is off by about 20%, and I think the tires are larger than the standard. So they're wrong in a consistent manner (a larger tire would travel farther with each revolution than the speedometer is set to record per revolution), but the tires are not that big. Circumference = 2*pi*radius = pi*diameter, so if circumference were 20% larger, the radius and diameter would be too. 20% is 1/5 larger; that would be a huge tire.

Black = unburned fuel, blue = burned oil?

Not yet. Newsgroup archives tell me that's probably something we should do at this point. Would the catalytic converter be fried once, dead permanently; or intermittent? Is it above or below the O2 sensor, in the exhaust stream?
    Una
inline..

what size does your door plate say came on the truck and what size is on it now? on my pickup I went from 245/75R16 to 265/75R16, the resulting error was 1 MPH per 20 MPH.

yep
Once a cat is dead, it's dead. being 16 years old doesn't help it either. it will be between the Y pipe and the muffler. it should be the same size more or less than the muffler.
-Bret

he, he

He he, there are some smart people in the world after all. I like the way you see it bud, gal, una. Send me an email and tell me what your diagnostic skills are if ever I need them.

Sure thing, Hatt
snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Una) wrote in wrote: [drivel claiming she's a mechanic, but not gonna help...]
Hey, see GMdud's remarks: proof positive that they are all blooming idiots - or else they'd be brain sturgeons.
Plus, all GM mechanics take it up the butt freely, "Mr. Goodenwinch" hmmmm, even sounds really gay!

Gaurandamnteed! Cause now he knows someone else knows too?
Hatt

As a matter of policy I don't complain about things people don't understand and/or cannot fix. And I think both shops are reasonably straight. I got recommendations for both from people who are picky customers. But clearly neither mechanic understands diagnosis on an abstract level, nor has learned engine diagnosis per se on a practical level. Also FWIW, we have had both shops do other work, so far mostly okay (Shop #1 put the wrong type of struts on my commuting car; DH re-did the job himself).
    Una

Maybe, maybe not, but I know they have learned to take an abstract level, stroke it, milk it, and bilk it while they wing it, mostly because our ego won't let, or can't let, or don't and won't admit its just junk and we can't accept that. Thereby giving us a new understanding.

The only practical level is to start at the center and work your way out. Not around the outside going in. That would be like patching a bicycle tire, torquing the spokes painstakingly one by one, and expecting all that to fix the burnt out bearing at the center.

Well, you wouldn't have been to two shops if there wasn't a limited supply knowlegde about what to do at one of them at least would you? I don't know whether you read my other posts or not, but as I said, I spent thousands going around the outside of my motor, and listening to every other mechanic call the next a liar. Some one told me they are the least trusted, most complained about profession there is. I always thought that was lawyers, but I could always be wrong.
Hatt
"DJ Hatt" wrote

This only proves that stupid customers come in a close second to stupid mechanics.
Ian

No denying that Ian, but I'm not as stupid as I was anymore.
Hatt
Hi!

Got something to hide?
The OP didn't say "idiot = mechanic", as she has already mentioned to you! Quite honestly, there are people in this world who proclaim to be mechanics that I would not want within 10 miles of my vehicle. I am no expert, but I can tell when people don't have a clue as to what they are doing.
Conversely, there are many very good automotive mechanics in this world...and you may well be one of them...or you may not. I'm not a really good mechanic, but with my own vehicles I will sit down and learn about it or turn things over to someone more qualified before I really mess it up.

You have been insulted, huh? Why, if you're not an idiot mechanic is that the case?
It's Usenet, you'll learn fast how unwise that truly is.

The OP didn't say or mean that YOU specifically are an idiot, unless you happen to be one of her mechanics of choice.

Pay the bill first and do be polite, but do tell them what you think of their service. It is the only way you could reasonably expect an improvement in service if you come back.
William