88 2500 rotor removal

Can anyone tell me the process for removing the front rotors?
I have been told that once the caliper is removed they should slide off. Does this sound right?

I know on other 4wd trucks I have to remove the large bolt from the axle.
shouldn't have to do anything other than the caliper. If it is stubborn you may need to "help" it with a hammer of some sort. LKN4SNO

More to it than that if it's an 8 lug.
Been a while, but I'll try to remember. Remove the caliper. Then remove the center axle shaft nut. Then you'll find four (4) bolts on the back side on the square part of the hub. Remove these. I want to say you'll need to disconnect the upper control arm, but I think Ian said he's not ever done it this way. Once the hub and rotor assembly is off, you need to pound or press out the studs.
Then your rotor is separated from the hub assembly.
Did I miss anything? Ian, feel free to chime in here.
Snowman

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:03:21 -0500, "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote:

I'm 99% sure the only thing with 8 lugs in 88 was the 3500.
-Bret

Well it is an 8 lug
I dont think it is a 3500 but I could be wrong. I could also be off by a year.
How hard is to remove the bolts in the back of the rotor?
Is there any chance they will not break off????

off.
axle.
they shouldn't break off. They're good steel. You're talking about the (4) on the back of the hub, right? No, I highly doubt you will have trouble, except for they may be awkward to get to for you.
The studs should be nice and tight. I'd use a drift on a solid workbench and drive them out with a heavy ball peen hammer. Otherwise, you can press them out, too.
Snowman

That was tough.
The bolts were on the verge of stripping so I had to remove the brakes holding the ball joints on. Then use an impact driver to remove the bolts.
Would a brake shop have charged extra to remove that style rotor?
"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

slide
the
they probably go by flat rate, so you would pay whatever the book says it takes as far as time is concerned. In short, yes, you would pay more than you would for a half ton.
Keep something in mind, though - you can have all the power in the world and never hurt anyone, but if you can't get that machine stopped, you may kill someone. Your brakes are one of the most important parts of your truck, ESPECIALLY, if you tow.
Snowman