88 chevy c1500 dies when I put it in gear

checked the fuel pump and put in a new fuel filter. now it will start but it stays in a faster idle even after it has warmed up and been running for 20 minuites. when i give it a lot of gas or put it in gear it quits and
takes a little effort to get started againbut will go back into a fast idle until i try anything again.
hopingsome one out there knows more on how to fix this than me. thanks