88 S-10 approximate weight data?

Still without an owner's manual, and the shop manual from the library has no info, so I am wondering if anyone can fill in the blanks on the weight of my "new" Blazer?
I know there are variables, but I am just curious as this point. The decals which reveal this info, are no longer on the door post. Nothing there but the remains of some sticky things :) No idea why anyone would remove that data... <shrug>
Anyway, its an 88 S-10, 4WD, 2.8L Automatic, 2 door. Its an enclosed back, not an open bed truck. Don't even know if they make those, which shows how up to date I am on this thing <g>
Sometimes the terminology is different, but what I am hoping to learn is the max weight it can handle, and how much it weighs empty, as in no passengers or cargo.
Much obliged for any assistance.
John
You have an S-10 Blazer, unless you have an S-10 with a cap on the bed. S-10 is the pickup version. My 94 4-door weighs almost 4,000 lbs, with a 4.3L engine and 4x4. I'd guess maybe 3500 for yours. Not sure about load capacity, but if you were to de-code the VIN you'd discover it's classified as a 1/2-ton truck...
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:01:53 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@iname.com wrote:

The 2.8 doesn't weigh 600 pounds less than the 4.3. Other than the differnet engine, your truck is almost identical.
I always heard the weight as being somewhere around 4800 pounds- will visit the scales once I get my new transmission in, and get a good figure on my 89 4.3 4X4 AT.
<no, I'm not taking the bumper and drawers out> ;)

I have a 4-door, the truck he has is a 2-door. 4800 is A LOT for this truck to weigh. My dad's Durango doesn't weigh much more than that. My NYS vehicle registration lists the weight as 3911...
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 01:31:56 -0400, "burntkat IS AT comcast.net"

my 88 K2500 with my across the bed tool box full of tools weighs almost exactly 5000 lbs. w/o the tool box i'd say it weighs about 4700. 4800 is waaaay high for any s-truck

I would get a S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 ASAP. I traded my '87 S-10 Blazer with a 2.8 for this '88 K1500 4x4 Silverado and never looked back.

Since I was given the Blazer at no cost, I doubt that getting rid of it and buying a more expensive truck would be a wise financial move :-)
I was just hoping that someone who owned one like mine might still have the GVW data on the old door post. I am grateful for all the replies and guestimates.
One time honored method for determining approximately how much trailer one can tow, is to multiply the HP times 35 to give the total weight of the vehicle and the trailer, plus cargo, people, etc. From what I have gleaned from this topic so far, the 2.8 liter cannot even deal with its own weight, three adults, and cargo. Hmmmm.....
Thanks much,
John
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:35:49 -0600, mountain wrote:

The 2.8 was dying, he had a 2.8 on the side and needed more of a "kid-carrier" than I did. And I wanted more, not to mention the 2.8 didn't do that much better on mpg. Thus the trade. note "... 4.3 ASAP."