88 S-10 approximate weight data?

Still without an owner's manual, and the shop manual from the library has no info, so I am wondering if anyone can fill in the blanks on the weight of my "new" Blazer?

I know there are variables, but I am just curious as this point. The decals which reveal this info, are no longer on the door post. Nothing there but the remains of some sticky things :) No idea why anyone would remove that data...

Anyway, its an 88 S-10, 4WD, 2.8L Automatic, 2 door. Its an enclosed back, not an open bed truck. Don't even know if they make those, which shows how up to date I am on this thing

Sometimes the terminology is different, but what I am hoping to learn is the max weight it can handle, and how much it weighs empty, as in no passengers or cargo.

Much obliged for any assistance.

John

Reply to
mountains

Mike Levy

The 2.8 doesn't weigh 600 pounds less than the 4.3. Other than the differnet engine, your truck is almost identical.

I always heard the weight as being somewhere around 4800 pounds- will visit the scales once I get my new transmission in, and get a good figure on my 89

4.3 4X4 AT.

sure about load capacity, but if you were to de-code the VIN you'd

Reply to
burntkat IS AT comcast.net

Reply to
Mike Levy

my 88 K2500 with my across the bed tool box full of tools weighs almost exactly 5000 lbs. w/o the tool box i'd say it weighs about 4700. 4800 is waaaay high for any s-truck

Reply to
Bret Chase

I would get a S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 ASAP. I traded my '87 S-10 Blazer with a 2.8 for this '88 K1500 4x4 Silverado and never looked back.

Reply to
Robert Kenneth Loyd

Since I was given the Blazer at no cost, I doubt that getting rid of it and buying a more expensive truck would be a wise financial move :-)

I was just hoping that someone who owned one like mine might still have the GVW data on the old door post. I am grateful for all the replies and guestimates.

One time honored method for determining approximately how much trailer one can tow, is to multiply the HP times 35 to give the total weight of the vehicle and the trailer, plus cargo, people, etc. From what I have gleaned from this topic so far, the 2.8 liter cannot even deal with its own weight, three adults, and cargo. Hmmmm.....

Thanks much,

John

Reply to
mountains

The 2.8 was dying, he had a 2.8 on the side and needed more of a "kid-carrier" than I did. And I wanted more, not to mention the 2.8 didn't do that much better on mpg. Thus the trade. note "... 4.3 ASAP."

Reply to
Robert Kenneth Loyd