88 Silverado

Just bought my first pickup. It's an 88 Silverado extended cab long bed. Truck is in great shape for it's age but as in any 18 year old it has a few problems but a lot of potential. I plan on doing as much as possible (financially feasible) to make it look good & drive forever. While I'm not a great mechanic, I've done a lot of work on my vehicles when required. The truck runs great now but it has almost 200,000 miles on it. I figure with proper care I can get at least another 50-60K out of it. I already have a

91 GMC Vandura that's sitting. The van has a 350 with about 15,000 miles on it and it's tranny has about 35,000 miles on it. I plan on using those two major components when the engine in the truck finally die out. The van was pretty much used like a truck and has the tow package so I'm pretty sure that engine is plenty for the truck. I also think it probably a little heavier than the truck. As far as I know, most GMC/Chevy parts are interchangeable with few or minor adjustments, so when the time comes hopefully things will go as smoothly as possible (hope I didn't just jinx myself). If anyone has any suggestions on what may be incompatible between the two vehicles please let me know so I can start to make the necessary adjustments. In a couple of weeks, time permitting I want to remove the engine and transmission from the van for storage until needed for the truck. What is the best way to preserve both. I was told to pretty much to remove them from current vehicle, fill them with oil/transmission fluid, then wrap them until needed. Then of course when needed, drain and put in fresh fluids & filters. I've never done that so any ideas would be appreciated. When filling them up exactly how much is required or recommended?

I need help on a few things now. First, where can I find a shop manual for the truck. I've searched & googled several web sights and can't find it. The Chilton's & Haynes are readily available but I want something with good electrical and vacuum diagrams. Next, I'm having some lighting problems with the truck. The right rear blinker & brake light don't work. I've changed all flasher relays, all bulbs & I've even swapped out the bulbs to the other side and they work on the left but not on the passenger's side. I've looked at the module the lights go in and there appears to be no breaks. The other lights work okay except for the reverse lights which is the last problem I have with the truck now. When placed in reverse, the reverse light flashed for about a second then goes out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..Frank

Reply to
Frank Thompson Jr

Shop manual try helminc.com for a new one, they may not be listed on the site but call their 1-800 # and they have them. You can also try ebay if you don't mind a used one, they usually have one around....chiltons/haynes for these trucks are pretty useless(i have both for my 89 :)).

For the reverse lights, have someone jiggle the shifter(is it an auto?) while in reverse, as far as it will go each way and watch the reverse lights, probably just need to tighten your shift linkage or adjust your switch, on mine i have to always push it back up a lil when in reverse to get lights.

As far as mileage, if the engine/tranny are in good shape and you take care of them, you should easily get another 100-200K out of them depeding on how you use the truck.

Reply to
89GMC

Sweet.

The rear light housing is notorious for rusting the circuit board holding the lights. Just buy a new set:

Your 350 from the van should swap with no sweat. Just check to see if the intake manifolds are the same... if they are, just transfer the truck gear onto it. I can't remember if the 91 trans was computer controlled or not... so that might be your only hang up if it was. I believe the trucks didn't get the comp controlled trans until 94, but I might be wrong.

HDS

Reply to
HDS