89 4.3 TBI S-Blazer: mileage poll?

I've got an 89 S-10 Blazer, 4.3, 700R4, 3.73 ratio and 31s.
I get about 14MPG around town. Anyone else want to post their results with similar setup?

I get about 14.5-15 with stock 205's. Same setup you have.
RJ in WV
Sure seems like I'm still smelling a rich exhaust. Have you noticed the same?

with
Not really, it doesn't smell like what you do behind a newer car, but definitely not rich. I figure on mine, it's the age of the cat (original with 286,000). Would you happen to have one of those "special" mixes they sell around the country?
RJ in WV

no knowledge of a special mix
I am not running a cat <exhaust literally fell apart when I was unemployed, couldn't swing the $200 for a cat>. Will put one in soon.
Any idea if a cat will help with mileage?

results
Can't say for sure, looks to me if it breathes better.....it should run better.
RJ in WV

On Sun, 9 May 2004 00:28:19 -0400, "burntkat IS AT comcast.net"

The mix you are looking for is called "Guaranteed to Pass". I'm not for sure of the cost, but I know a guy whose '90 zsx eclipse with no cat, oversized turbo, and other racing equipment and he passes every year with this stuff. I think he gets it at AutoZone.
The mix you are looking for is called "Guaranteed to Pass". I'm not

Actually, I meant the different types of fuels sold regionally, such as the oxygenated type out on the west coast and some of the states that have stricter emission laws.
Sorry to cause confusion.
RJ in WV
FWIW, my 2000 S-10 ZR2 with the CSFI 4.3L, 3.73 axles, 31's and 4L60E gets about the same around town. My running avg. for 21 fill-ups (since Jan 1, 04) is right around 14.5, I do mostly city with a little highway and periodic long trips (have 2 long trips in there, one with a serious headwind).
On Sat, 8 May 2004 18:24:49 -0400, "burntkat IS AT comcast.net"

'91 T-15 Jimmy, 4.3L, 700R4, 3.42s, 235s
I get around 15 MPG combined. Not too bad when you take into account the tools (including a 2 1/4 tonne floor jack and a pair of 2 tonne jackstands) and spare fluids I'm constantly hauling around.
City streets on a 91 S-10 4.3L, stock 235's but a lot better in long freeway trips.....up to 20 mpg
For many years, I had an crummy old 240 cid 3-speed 69 Ford E-100 Van. The POS only got 10 mpg around town
My 91 S-10 Blazer, 4.3 with 235 tires does around 17-18 in the mountains and 20 out on the interstate..... Not bad for 210,000.

Mine is an 88 S-10 4.3 700R4 X-Cab (with topper) and 4x4. I run 235x75x15 Goodyear Wranglers, and I don't remember my rear end gearing, though I think it is 3.73. My motor is new (10K or so on it) and I'm getting 15 in town, and can get 17-18 on the road if I can keep my foot off the gas. I did get better gas mileage years ago before my cruise control quit working.
Big Chris

I bought a new one in 90 and it consistently got 20 mpg in the summer. Didn't seem to matter how it was driven. H
: : > I've got an 89 S-10 Blazer, 4.3, 700R4, 3.73 ratio and 31s. : > : > I get about 14MPG around town. Anyone else want to post their results with : > similar setup? : > I put over 125k miles on my '89 then sold it to my brother. Averaged 19 highway, never checked town mpg. . My '99 Yuk is only 2 mpg less and twice the truck comfort and power wise. I don't miss the S nor do I miss changing those crappy rebuilt starters in that thing.
--
John
I don't think any sane person who goes from a ca-truck to a FS truck misses them.

less
miss
"Hairy" wrote in message news:
<> > I've got an 89 S-10 Blazer, 4.3, 700R4, 3.73 ratio and 31s.

Mine's a '91 and I get in the 20 mpg range too in mixed driving. Less if I do much 4-wheelin'. Dunno what gearing it has.