89 k5 starter problem

The switch turns the stsrter motor, but it doesn't engage. I suspect the starter motor clutch is bad. Is there any suggestion for temporary fix til I
can get replacement. I am in the middle of nowhere and a replacement is a couple of weeks away. The truck only has 248,000 miles.... Thanks in advance B.D.
its a $20-$25 starter at the parts store, 20 minutes to fetch the wrenches and change it

It is quick and easy to change. I am not near civillization and parts come slowly. I would like to be able to use it to pick up the new one if possible. The brass sleeve in front is wore out. The wrapped one. I was hoping on a simple suggestion for a temporary replacement. The rest of the starter is just tired. It has served me well. The flywheel teeth look good. I'd like to keep them that way. My price delivered is $ 90 for a delco. I'm not sure about the new companies which have come on scene, especially the Bosch group subcontractor. This is the original delco unit, and the service has been somewhat extrordinary. I don't like working on trucks, especially in ungodly weather and conditions. Cheap parts are just that. Cheap parts. And flywheels are definately not an inexpensive part. I believe I'll just have to be patient and start walking. It's my only vehicle.

Well it is a lot of trouble, but i have done it. The starter solenoid mounted on top of the starter is a solenoid that pushes the starter gear into the flywheel when engaged and a spring pulls it out when the truck starts. If you remove the solenoid guts, you can push the gear shaft into the flywheel and then hit the start key and it will turn the motor over. YOU MUST BE CAREFUL as the stick or what ever you use to push the gear into contact can be kicked back when the motor starts, or the stick can slip into the flywheel and be rammed out with a lot of force. old john