89 k5 starter problem

The switch turns the stsrter motor, but it doesn't engage. I suspect the starter motor clutch is bad. Is there any suggestion for temporary fix til I can get replacement. I am in the middle of nowhere and a replacement is a couple of weeks away. The truck only has 248,000 miles.... Thanks in advance B.D.

Reply to
Black Dog

its a $20-$25 starter at the parts store, 20 minutes to fetch the wrenches and change it

Reply to
I'm Right

Reply to
Black Dog

Well it is a lot of trouble, but i have done it. The starter solenoid mounted on top of the starter is a solenoid that pushes the starter gear into the flywheel when engaged and a spring pulls it out when the truck starts. If you remove the solenoid guts, you can push the gear shaft into the flywheel and then hit the start key and it will turn the motor over. YOU MUST BE CAREFUL as the stick or what ever you use to push the gear into contact can be kicked back when the motor starts, or the stick can slip into the flywheel and be rammed out with a lot of force. old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Reply to
<ajeeperman