89 S10 4X4

I have to put the pickup in neutral, shut it off and shift into 4 low and w hen I turn it back on I'm in 4 low. However the shifter in between 2 high a nd 4 high moves back and forth with no resistance and does not shift into 4 high. Would this also be the switch or where would I check first? If it is the switch, where would it be located at?

Reply to
codylink22

How do you know it is "not in" 4 High when stick is in 4 High position ?

Reply to
Retired

It just seems like you wouldn't be able to slide the shifter back and forth in between 2 high and 4 high with no resistance, no sounds...nothing. And when it's in 4 high (due to the recent snow and ice we have) I can tell goi ng around corners it's not locked in.

Reply to
codylink22

True, on my 84 S-10 you would definitely feel/hear the auto locking "hubs" in the front differential kick in.

The one problem I had while doing some light rock crawling was the stick was in 4LO & the light was on for 4LO, but the front wheels were not pulling. After getting help to get off the trail, I found that the front diff had not kicked in due to the vacuum hose on the vacuum driven actuator ( near/under the battery) had rotted thru due to out-gassing from the battery. However your problem seems to be different if your 4 LO is working OK, and only 4 HI is not activating.

Reply to
Retired

Had one of these trucks.Vacuum switch in transfer case that locks front axle is famous for failure. It's on top of transfer case, you'll see the vacuum lines going to it. Shifter flips in / out from 2 to 4 easily. 4 low was not a smooth shift in my truck either.

Reply to
John