'89 Suburban front differential

Facts: '89 V1500 (1/2-ton) GMC Suburban SLE, factory towing package (some call this combo a 'heavy half'), 3.73 gears, posi rear end, 700R4 trans, stock rims&tires.

What type of differential is on the front of this Suburban? When I turned a corner, going from a snow-filled alley onto a clear concrete street, the front noisily protested. I slowly backed up a bit while straightening the front wheels out, stopped, placed the trans in neutral, shifted the transfer case from 4H to 2H, then placed the trans in reverse and backed down the alley at least ten feet (to disengage the automatic front hubs, per factory manual).

I know that a "spool" type differential does NOT like dealing with any direction other than straight ahead on dry pavement.

TIA, Geoff in Wisconsin

Reply to
gturk

You can rest knowing that it does not have a "spool" in the front axle, and hope it does'nt have one in the back either as a "spool" locks the axles together at all times and puts UNGODLY stress on the axles and flanges when driving on high-traction surfaces.

You most likely have a limited-slip type positraction differential in the front, I would recommend dissasembling the front hubs and servicing as the grease has probably dried up causing them to stick in the engaged position.

Better yet, remove the automatic locking hubs and replace them with a set of Warn manual locking hubs..........problem solved.

"Spools are for Off-Road use only"

Reply to
Mad Dog