90 S10 Speedometer

I replaced the speed senor on the transmission and this did not fix the speedometer. What should I check next?

Reply to
jedfay

What's wrong with it? Digital or analogue gauges?

Reply to
SBlackfoot

. .

. . Check the signal being put out at the transmission first. Be it mechanical or electrical....you need to first insure that the signal is being sent from the point that it's being created.

MarshMonster ~:~

======== ========

90 S10 Speedometer Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Aug 5, 2004, 10:20pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (jedfay) I replaced the speed senor on the transmission and this did not fix the speedometer.

What should I check next?

Reply to
Marsh Monster

It is analog. How do I check to find out if the VSS is sending pulses to the ECM and to the speedometer.

Reply to
jedfay

you're gonna get in deep...believe you need a scanner for that

I was going to say...to check if the speedo gauge working, take a drill and spin up the speedo cable, but I'm not sure if the S-10's uses one....and I'm too comfortable to go outside n look

Reply to
ken

How do I check to find out if the VSS is sending pulses to the ECM and to the speedometer.

The easiest way would be to carry the truck to a transmission shop that offers free preliminary checks, which includes scanning the computer.

or ...... you could start by hooking up DVOM to the sensor and checking Hz. and AC voltage output, making sure the signal is being initiated and is smooth.....start at the signal source!

or..... you could bypass all that and jump straight to the ECM and check the signal coming into the computer.....and I will be glad to provide that pin-out info for you if needed.

or.... being as you've already spent the money to change out the VSS .....and IT DIDN'T WORK... maybe you should quit chunk'n time and money at it just so's you can say you did it yerself.... and take the first advice listed above.

or..... we'll jest keeping checking it out in the order that you prefer. Personally...i've never found revearse engineering as a diagnostic tool a very proficient way of fixing things.

let us know... ~:~ MarshMonster ~rolls a dubee....and readies himself fer duh 'challenge ahead~ ========= =========

Reply to
Marsh Monster