90 V10 Blazer dies when warm.

Ive got a 1990 v10 5.7 Blazer that we have recently done an engine swap in. We had about 150 miles on it, now it wont start if its warm. The engine will only start when its cold, and then it will get to
temp and run rough for a few seconds and die. Tonite we tried to reset the ECM by unplugging it, we got it up to running temperature when it started to sputter, so we would rev it/maintain a high RPM. It would keep running but it was running extremely rough and the exhaust smelled rich with gas. When we let off the gas it died. Strangely enough from the Catalytic Converter back was bright red. We never noticed it during the day, but now we are completely stumped. We figure it has to be some kind of computer, we have replaced the distributer, ignition control module, the coil, the O2 sensor, and the throttle body was rebuilt.
Something makes us think its the Air/fuel Ratio that is flooding it once it warms up.
Any advice would be great.

Check the engine coolant tempature sensor. There are two and the one you want is near thermostat housing. If it is bad the engine will never lean out when it warms up. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
With the cat glowing red could have melted the insides seen it on my truck. R

That was from excess fuel afterburning in CAT. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Thanks, i figured it had be some sensor that went bad, everything else is new... except for my cat now...
Ill try getting my hands on that sensor soon. Let you know how it goes
"SnoMan" wrote
> wrote: > > >Ive got a 1990 v10 5.7 Blazer that we have recently done an > engine > >swap in. We had about 150 miles on it, now it wont start if > its warm. > >The engine will only start when its cold, and then it will > get to > >temp and run rough for a few seconds and die. Tonite we tried > to reset > >the ECM by unplugging it, we got it up to running temperature > when it > >started to sputter, so we would rev it/maintain a high RPM. > It would > >keep running but it was running extremely rough and the > exhaust > >smelled rich with gas. When we let off the gas it died. > Strangely > >enough from the Catalytic Converter back was bright red. We > never > >noticed it during the day, but now we are completely stumped. > We > >figure it has to be some kind of computer, we have replaced > the > >distributer, ignition control module, the coil, the O2 > sensor, and the > >throttle body was rebuilt. > > > >Something makes us think its the Air/fuel Ratio that is > flooding it > >once it warms up. > > > >Any advice would be great. > > > Check the engine coolant tempature sensor. There are two and > the one > you want is near thermostat housing. If it is bad the engine > will > never lean out when it warms up. > ----------------- > TheSnoMan.com

Remove the cat and see what happens. Seem that it might be plugged.

If it was plugged it would not have glown red to begin with. It might be damage now but it was not the cause. Excessive fuel in system can cause it to afterburn in CAT and light it up. The glowing CAT is a symptom not the cause. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
I know one time my son had a truck, and the catalectic converter got red from being hot, and it was because it was blocked, and he took it off and took the insides out and it worked fine after that. Just put it back on with nothing inside it. Carol
--
Independent AMSOIL Distributor
Dave & Carolyn Yoder
dnysis wrote:

You are right. Sno"flake" is wrong.
Bob

Okay smart guy, what would happen if it was plugged or partially plugged, what color would it be?

Well smart alec, that would depend entirely on load and throttle setting wouldn't it? Plus even if it was plugged it would not prevent it from starting hot when it starts cold but a defective engine coolant temp sensor could because it would not lean out engine when warm and it would load up and afterburn in exhaust. If you spent half and much time reading and "trying" to think as you do trying to fault me you might just learn something! ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
My vote is with sno-man, don't believe the cat is the problem but an offshoot of another problem. For what it's worth, had an s-10 blazer one time, did something to it and afterwords I had the same problem. This was a 94 S-10 w/a 4.3l v-6-I know different model/engine but....ck the timing-may be a waste of time but aren't alot of things? Good luck snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com
SnoMan wrote:

No.
Wrong.
Are you trying to say a rich mixture will prevent it from starting hot? What are you trying to say?

Reading? That where you get your info? Most of mine is experience. But I forget you don't have any do ya? Spare me the dump truck and tractor stories and the race car episode.

Fault you? Hell you make an ass of yourself in about 99% of your post's. I fault you for posting dangerous stuff.

From you? Ain't going to happen.