91 Chevy K1500, Need source of supply for leaf spring U bolts, U bolt anchor plates, and top spacer

Hi everyone,
I have a 1991 Chevy K1500 4WD 1/2 ton pickup truck with a short bed. The truck has a Conventional two door Cab and the wheel base is 117.5
inches. The engine size is a 4.3 V6, engine code Z, & the truck has an automatic transmission.
I need the four U bolts than hold the rear leaf spring to the rear axle. I also need the U-bolt anchor plates that go under the axle. I also need the small thin rectangular spacer that goes between the underside of the top portion of the U bolts and the top side of the leaf springs.
The dealer wants $43.00 each for the U bolts which seems ridiculous since most U bolts in hardware stores are only $2.00 to $6.00 each. Why are these things so expensive ? Can I just get a matching grade 8 U bolt from a hardware supplier and use that ? Is there anything special about the OEM U bolts ? They are the "square bend" type of U bolt.
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket supplier that offers quality replacement meeting OEM specs ? I want everything to be at least as good as the OEM parts. I'm familiar with LMC truck, would there replacement be as good as OEM ? I think the LMC catalog listed lefts and rights for the anchor plates but they look the same. Why would a left and right anchor plate be needed ?
I would appreciate any feedback or related experiences with U bolts and anchor plates. My originals have rusted quite badly.
Thanks John
go check out http://www.rockauto.com
or your local NAPA store.
some parts are dealer only..., but I suspect you can buy these aftermarket.
Axle ubolts are made specifically for that job and are supposed to be torqued to exact specs.
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:57:50 -0700 (PDT), John2005

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com
I looked online at NAPA and did not see the U bolts or the U bolt anchor plates for this vehicle.
I would visit the NAPA store....I don't think their web site is that good. You may be able to find something online.
Some of that stuff is GM only so you may only have one choice. I would not run used u bolts or something thats not made for an automotive u bolt... safety.
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:38:52 -0700 (PDT), John2005

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com
go to a local wrecking yard. old john
Hello, John2005! You wrote on Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:57:50 -0700 (PDT):
J> I have a 1991 Chevy K1500 4WD 1/2 ton pickup truck with a short bed. J> The truck has a Conventional two door Cab and the wheel base is 117.5 J> inches. The engine size is a 4.3 V6, engine code Z, & the truck has an J> automatic transmission.
J> I need the four U bolts than hold the rear leaf spring to the rear J> axle. I also need the U-bolt anchor plates that go under the axle. I J> also need the small thin rectangular spacer that goes between the J> underside of the top portion of the U bolts and the top side of the J> leaf springs.
J> The dealer wants $43.00 each for the U bolts which seems ridiculous J> since most U bolts in hardware stores are only $2.00 to $6.00 each. J> Why are these things so expensive ? Can I just get a matching grade 8 J> U bolt from a hardware supplier and use that ? Is there anything J> special about the OEM U bolts ? They are the "square bend" type of U J> bolt.
J> Can anyone recommend an aftermarket supplier that offers quality J> replacement meeting OEM specs ? I want everything to be at least as J> good as the OEM parts. I'm familiar with LMC truck, would there J> replacement be as good as OEM ? I think the LMC catalog listed lefts J> and rights for the anchor plates but they look the same. Why would a J> left and right anchor plate be needed ?
J> I would appreciate any feedback or related experiences with U bolts J> and anchor plates. My originals have rusted quite badly.
With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:57:50 -0700, John2005 wrote:

Maybe you could try a spring place. We have two in our town - Central Spring and Tractor Trailer Service. They have everything you need.
Used is not an option in my books for u-bolts. Look closely and you will see they have fine thread where you will only find coarse thread ones (deeper thread - less metal) at the dime stores.

Try http://www.lmctruck.com /
Cheers