91 S-10 front pads started smoking during a long steep downhill

11% twisting winding downgrade in the Sierra Nevadas on a cold day.....Before this happened, I considered shifting the auto into 2nd but thought to mysel, "Naw, brakes are cheaper than trani work", Then
that smell started, the brakes faded, got stopped but they sure were a-smokin.....
At home checked that the backs ware working, (yep) and the new calipers and rotors weren't draggin..(nope)... and can't find nothing wrong...
Ever happen to anyone else?
Never knew disks could do that under semi-normal driving conditions
Remember seeing a night shot 30+ years ago of a Ford GT-40 at Le Mans with the fronts glowing a dull orange....And they're making them again, ya got 200K?
Use the gearbox. 11% is steep, and you can burn the brakes to where it won't stop. On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:01:44 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (ken) wrote:

Colorado Springs, CO My advice may be worth what you paid for it.
And according the car gods, Click & Clack (Car Talk), the damage to the Trani is myth, whereas burning up brakes is real.
Top posting to keep the logic flow.
--
John
To reply, change @freeserve.co.uk -to- @yahoo.com

OK so we are all in agreement,then.
Would DEFINITELY do a full overhaul of the brakes soon. At the very least, you've glazed the hell out of the pads. Would consider Performance Friction CF pads too....
(ken)

(ken)

calipers
again,
Yup- did a full brake job on the wife's 94 ZJ <hey, I'm a Jeeper, too> this past weekend and put PF pads up front. Twice the price of the normal ones, but man do they grip when you need 'em. Scared the hell out of the wife when I took her on the test drive.... 8)
(ken)

2nd
Then
were
wrong...
Mans
(ken)

conditions
News for ya:
brake pads glow bright red on EVERY LeMans racer at every corner, nowadays. 8)
Sounds like you just rode them too much and glazed the pads.
I would have put it in 3rd and idled downhill, but that's me. I will watch this thread and learn something.... flatlander, you see.......