91 Suburban 6.2: What To Look For?

Greetings,

I'm looking at possibly picking up a 91 2500 2WD with a

6.2 NA diesel. The guy who owns it has had it sitting for a few years in his garage, bought for a project he never got to.

119k on the clock, looks pretty clean under the hood, not much in the way of rust except under the barn doors in the rear (the "roll pan"?) and around the inner fenders, front and rear.

It's a Scottsdale, nothing fancy, has the third seat, but no rear A/C. It's not been running but the owner's working on getting it started so I can hear the engine run, check out the trans, etc.

So what should I be looking out for on this critter? I own an older (78) "Big Ten" C10 pickup, but have never owned a suburban, diesel or otherwise...

TIA for any and all advice, pointers, hints, etc..

--Duncan

Reply to
Duncan D. Sterling

I have had a 91 K2500HD, Bought 4 years ago at about 210,000kM now 235,000km

Problems galore:

Electronic/electrical failures: Throttle and Engines speed sensors, glow plug controller, Coolant temperature sensor (Fast idle)

2 alternators 2 Fuel transfer pumps Wiper motor (common problem fixed with a bit of solder) Electronic HVAC controls work intermittently especially in cold weather Radio controls - same problem as HVAC controls

Mechanical: Rad (was replaced 2 years before I bought the truck) Water pump (original, fair enough) U-joint (not unusual) Fuel injectors Intake manifold gasket leaked

Transmission: (See Electronic) The Transmission quit and was repaired about 3 years before I bought the truck (there was a special warranty extension to address this because of a design flaw, but the mileage had just been exceeded). This is the nicest shifting Auto box I've ever owned, but mating it to a this engine and expecting to haul a load on the highway is just STUPID. Small diesels in trucks should come with either a manual box, a full manual shift control, or a lifetime roadside full service warranty and free fuel.

Suspension: IFS on this type of truck is STUPID! always out of alignment.

2 idler arms 3 ball joints

Brakes:

1 channel rear ABS only is downright dangerous! Almost never works properly!

Exhaust: Complete from the manifolds:

Body: Both door hinge springs fell out (broken pin) Silver paint falling off in strips

I have been told I can expect the F.I. pump to pack it in within a couple of years. Let the engine cool down, the cylinder heads

This truck has been well maintained and driven properly for most, if not all its life; I knew the previous owner. I have always preferred GM, but NO LONGER!

The engine itself is a pretty good one while new. It's light, high revving and quiet and on this truck, it's not computer controlled so it's very simple. I consider it a "Timex". Use it, then throw it away a the first sign of problems. It is much more difficult and costly to repair then the old V-8's.

Around here the 6.2L's re-sell for much less than the 5.7L's

Duncan D. Sterl> Greetings,

Reply to
Bob

I have had a 91 K2500HD, Bought 4 years ago at about 210,000kM now 235,000km

Problems galore:

Electronic/electrical failures: Throttle and Engins speed sensors, glow plug controller, Coolant temperature sensor (Fast idle)

2 alternators 2 Fuel transfer pumps Wiper motor (common problem fixed with a bit of solder) Electronic HVAC controls work intermittently especially in cold weather Radio controls - same problem as HVAC controls

Mechanical: Rad (was replaced 2 years before I bought the truck) Water pump (original, fair enough) U-joint (not unusual) Fuel injectors Intake manifold gasket leaked

Transmission: (See Electronic) The Transmission quit and was repaired about 3 years before I bought the truck (there was a special warranty extension to address this because of a design flaw, but the milage had just been exceeded). This is the nicest shifting Auto box I've ever owned, but mating it to a this engine and expecting to haul a load on the highway is just STUPID. Small diesels in trucks should come with either a manual box, a full manual shift control, or a lifetime roadside full service warranty and free fuel.

Suspension: IFS on this type of truck is STUPID! always out of alignment.

2 idler arms 3 ball joints

Brakes:

1 channel rear ABS only is downright dangerous! Almost never works properly!

Exhaust: Complete from the manifolds:

Body: Both door hinge springs fell out (broken pin) Silver paint falling off in strips

I have been told I can expect the F.I. pump to pack it in within a couple of years. Let the engine cool down, the cylinder heads

This truck has been well maintained and driven properly for most, if not all its life; I knew the previous owner. I have always preferred GM, but NO LONGER!

The engine itself is a pretty good one while new. It's light, high revving and quiet and on this truck, it's not computer controled so it's very simple. I consider it a "Timex". Use it, then thow it away a the first sign of problems. It is much more difficult and costly to repair then the old V-8's.