92 Chev PU

I'm having a problem with my 92 chevy 350, it runs until warm then will just die while running down the road or on idle. I checked that it is getting fuel and then replaced the ignition coil without any luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
richardn

Start by checking the fuel pressure, you may have a pump going bad as thye can act like this.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Fuel pressure checks out. It really acts like it looses fire. After I put the coil in it , it started and ran for about two minutes on idle then died, started right back up and ran for another three minutes and died again and would not restart. Lately, its had a clattering noise i have been trying to chase down, sounds like timing is off when accelerating which makes me think maybe the elec. spark control module or the ecm itself may be going.

Reply to
richardn via CarKB.com

Are you checking fuel pressure right after it dies? Ift can check good cold and be bad. The fuel pump GM uses in one mode of failure will run well for a few to several minutes and then die as pump motor heats up. It may not be your problem but it is a common occurance.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Isn't that a TBI? If so, try this. Open the hood and start the engine. Remove the air cleaner and watch the spray from the injectors. It may be a long shot but you could have an injector that's dying. Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Thu, Apr 27, 2006, 8:13pm (EDT+4) From: u21248@uwe (richardn=A0via=A0CarKB.com) SnoMan wrote: I'm having a problem with my 92 chevy 350, it runs until warm then will just die while running down the road or on idle. I checked that it is getting fuel and then replaced the ignition coil without any luck. Any ideas? Thanks. Start by checking the fuel pressure, you may have a pump going bad as thye can act like this.

----------------- The SnoMan

Fuel pressure checks out. It really acts like it looses fire. After I put the coil in it , it started and ran for about two minutes on idle then died, started right back up and ran for another three minutes and died again and would not restart. =A0 Lately, its had a clattering noise i have been trying to chase down, sounds like timing is off when accelerating which makes me think maybe the elec. spark control module or the ecm itself may be going.

Reply to
Rich B

Reply to
richardn via CarKB.com

Have you tried replacing the ignition control module in the distributor yet?

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Reply to
richardn via CarKB.com

Try ingniton module first and spark control last and replace cap and rotor regaurdless.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Ok, here's onething that happened to me many years ago and I've never heard of anyone having a similar problem.

It was a 1966 Chevy Caprice 396. The engine would start and run normally then, for no apparent reason, it would lose all power but still keep running (at an idle); this happened at all speeds up to 65 mph. I would shut off the engine and restart it after a few minutes. The engine would run normally for awhile and I would repeat the process. The problem?

Dropped the gas tank and found a 2 foot piece of plastic (looked like

2-inch wide tape) that was apparently being pulled up to the sock, restricting the fuel. I was told that the plastic came from the inside of a gas pump hose. Removing the plastic fixed the problem. BTW a co-worker of mine found the spring from a gas nozzle in his tank after it wore a hole through the tank from rolling around.

Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Apr 28, 2006, 2:23pm (EDT+4) From: u21248@uwe (richardn=A0via=A0CarKB.com) The spray from the injectors looks nice and even, I usually run fuel injection cleaner through every few tanks. The pressure was checked before started and after it dies. I replaced the fuel pump about a year ago so I was thinking (hoping) that wouldnt be the deal. The truck is stranded at my brothers house about 45 miles away so by the time i get off work and drive out there I only get to check a few things before it gets dark.

Rich B wrote: Isn't that a TBI? =A0 If so, try this. =A0 Open the hood and start the engine. =A0 Remove the air cleaner and watch the spray from the injectors. It may be a long shot but you could have an injector that's dying.

[...]

My dad bought one of those new, ordered it from the factory specail. I do not think they made many of them that way.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

It remains as on of my best and most favorite cars. It had the 3-speed hydro transmission and I think that was the first year the transmission was offered in the Chevy. The designation on the side of the car was the two flags with 396 TurboJet under them. I've only seen a few of them and this one had the small rear window with the fake vents under it and a vinyl top (it was a 2-door coupe). Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Fri, Apr 28, 2006, 9:18pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@snoman.com (SnoMan) On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:08:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich B) wrote: It was a 1966 Chevy Caprice 396. My dad bought one of those new, ordered it from the factory specail. I do not think they made many of them that way.

----------------- The SnoMan

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

Actually the THM 400 was aoption is 65 because my dad looked at a dealer demo that was a loaded 65 Caprice with a 327 and a hyrdomatic. His was a 4dr hardtop/vinyl with factory dual exhaust, 3.31 axle ratio with posi and a 396 (an yes the flags). He almost ordered it with a 427!! Now that would have been realy rare! I bought a used loaded 69 impala with a 396 in late 70's and drove it for several years. I really liked that car but the frame rusted out where rear control arms attached though body was still good and a welded in a patch but I could not really enjpy the car because of this concern so I sold it. It had cruise, automatic climate control, power windows and everything and it all worked.

SnoMan

Interesting. Sounds like your '65 was really a nice car too. My '66 didn't have cruise or air but it had the tilt/telescoping steerig wheel. Not sure of the axle ratios but I know it was purchased as a demo by the dealer so it had the nice cloth interior. I had installed a Holly 650 double pumper Spreadbore on it so it ran really well. The only reason I got rid of mine is because I T-bone a car after the driver pulled across in front of me (kinda made a mess of the car and it was 7 years old at the time).

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:04:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich B) wrote: It remains as on of my best and most favorite cars. It had the 3-speed hydro transmission and I think that was the first year the transmission was offered in the Chevy. =A0 The designation on the side of the car was the two flags with 396 TurboJet under them. =A0 I've only seen a few of them and this one had the small rear window with the fake vents under it and a vinyl top (it was a 2-door coupe).

Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Apr 29, 2006, 12:07am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@snoman.com (SnoMan) Actually the THM 400 was aoption is 65 because my dad looked at a dealer demo that was a loaded 65 Caprice with a 327 and a hyrdomatic. His was a

[...]

Ours was a 66 that my dad ordered but he looked at a 65 demo that had a 327 and a THM 400. I remember it because they let him drive it for a few days and he decided he wanted more power than a 327 and ordered the 66 loaded with a 396 but like I said, looking back on it now, I could have likley twiste his arm to get the 427 instead. 1965 was the first year GM optioned the THM 400 in some chevy models and they were widely used in big pontiacs starting in 65 too. 64 was the last year for the old sloppy Roto Hydromatic in pontiacs.

SnoMan