92 GMC 350 EFI oil pressure question.

Recently the oil pressure gauge in my 92 GMC (350 efi) has been acting up, or the oil pressure itself has been acting up. Here is what's happening:
After driving for a length of time (30 mins or greater) the oil pressure
gauge will fluctuate. If the gauge reads low when I stop and turn the engine off you can smell a hot smell, if the gauge reads hi or even normal when its turned off there is no smell.
Where and how would I go about testing the actual oil pressure. ???
TIA Snow...

locate your oil pressure sending unit, it will either be just above the oil filter on the side of the engine block, or next to the distributor on the back of the engine. remove it and temporarily install ( or permenantly tee it in as I did) a mechanical OP gauge. then run your engine normally. oil pressure above 7psi at idle and 10 psi per 1k rpm is just fine, though I've seen a spec that says the minimum is 7psi at 1k rpm and 18psi at 2k rpm ( yikes).
hth, Bret

Autozone. I replaced mine and corrected the same symptoms your are describing.