92 K1500 Shakes, shudders on 4WD engagement ???????

1992 k1500 5.7 4L60 4WD

Got snow yesterday and engaged 4WD at low speed under 15 mph and when

4WD is engaged truck shakes and has mucho vibration. This happens as soon as the floor lever is pulled back to 4 Hi, happens when moving in Drive or with transmission in nuetral.

Any Ideas???? With snow coming this truck is going to be useless without the 4wd.

Thanks in advance.

astermech

If I understand what you wrote your saying it vibrates when in 4x4 and in motion. And that you shifted into neutral while in motion and it still vibrates?

If so check the U Joints on the front drive shaft and check the front output yoke on the transfer case for play. A bad (dry or worn) U Joint will cause vibration. Also look at the front axles for damaged boots or CV joint problems. Even though they turn all the time while the vehicle is moving it may be that one is worn enough to cause a problem when it is under power.

Reply to
Steve W.

No noise per say but a terrible shudder, I will try to look into further tomorrow.

Reply to
astermech