92 K1500 Speedo Noise??

My '92 K1500 started making what I thought was noise from a dry speedo cable - you know, rotational noise from the instrument cluster area increasing and decreasing with road speed. I popped off the
instrument cluster and ... no cable !? OK, so it's electronic - so were's the noise coming from? Does the odometer motor ever need lubing?
Thanks for your help,
Tommy C