92 S10 Idle way fast...

My coworker has a 92 S10 Truck with the 4.3 with 153K miles on it. His engine runs at 1500-2000 rpms at idle.

He's replaced the TPS and even tried the ECM and chip from another 92 and it still does it.

His digital dash also blanks out at times or flickers. His odometer portion went out all together. It used to work by slapping the dash. :) He cleaned all the connectors. Is it toast??

Any suggestions on the idle problem? Where to look first?

LS

Reply to
LS

Lannie,

In order of parts to replace/check:

1) IAC Valve. Located on the throttle body just behind (towards the firewall) of the TPS. Has 4 wires and a square, green (IIRC) connector.

2) CTS.

3) Throttle linkage and/or cruise linkage adjustment set to tight.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks...I'll forward it to him. He's the new guy at work that I am training. He has a 92 S10 truck and I have a 92 S10 Blazer. He was giving me crap when my heater core went out. Two days later he came to work a little humbled. :) His went out!!!!

Both are replaced. :)

Thanks,.

Reply to
LS

aren't those heater cores a real bitch!

As for the ultra fast ildle at start up, I got my 91 S-10 Blazer used and it also ran 1500-2000 rpm for the first 20 seconds before idling down to a more acceptable rpm, although still a bit high. Last month I dropped in a long block at l58K miles, and the high idle went away (still don't know why)

Reply to
ken