92 S10 leaking coolant by thermostat

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

An accurate torque wrench is just that, whether it be beam or clicker type. My Craftsman 3/8 dr.clicker is still accurate after 20 years of intermittent use. I think I paid about $40 for it.
they are also alot cheaper and never need adjustment. clickers

Agreed. My inch pound wrench is beam type with an led and beeper that sounds when the value is reached because I often can't get in position to see the gauge.

If you use it professionally, spend the big bucks. The average shade tree mechanic can spend much less and still get a good wrench. H

if you read the fine print on clickers, you'll see something to the effect: accurate to +/- 3% clockwise in the upper 80% of operating range. you'll also see "gauranteed accurate for 1 year" or so. clickers *DO* need readjustment. for example. I am an iron worker by trade. the bolts we use have to be tightened by one of 4 methods to meed AISC requirements. the LEAST recommended method is by using a torque wrench. to meet the requirements, the torque wrenches have to be calibrated DAILY. naturally we don't use that method, but I digress.

$150 isn't big bucks for a torque wrench. Snap-On ones go for about $600. the bare minumum clicker I would buy would be the Craftsman Microtork line at sears... they go for about 70 bucks. I have one of those "parts store" $40 torque wrenches.... biggest piece of crap I ever owned.
-Bret
DONE!!! Thanks for the help everyone gave.
When I was done it leaked like crazy at the thermostat. What an idiot, after five hours of working on it, I forgot to clean the last part back on!!!
Fired it up and it knocked and pinged. Apparently I didn't mark the distributor very well. 18 degrees off! :)
She's running great now. Hope to get past the 300K mark. Just 8K to go.
Lannie

Woke up in the middle of the night and remembered something about the timing situation that I didn't mention. Figured by marking the dist you wouldn't need to retime it Did you first unhook the brown wire just under the carpet below the glovebox? That puts the timing into base mode and by-passes the ECM If you didn't, that would explain the timing being off so far ..ken
No I didn't. The Chilton's manual never stated to do that so I didn't. I did have to turn the dist about 45 degrees farther then it was previously. Been working good so far.
Lannie