92 S10 leaking coolant by thermostat

Funny I was always thought in class to clean and lightly oil (but not so much you get hydrolock).....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

you're right KJ.... head bolts are "wet" torque, as specified in the manuals.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Basically I was told anything your really going to go balls to the walls on it's best to clean and oil. Less stressful on the threads...smoother stretching of the shank.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

nope.... only oil when specified. I have to go engineering conferences yearly for this crap. if you lubricate threads and torque to the "dry torque" setting, you can be exerting more than twice the clamping force intended for the joint. at work (I am an iron worker)we deal with bolts up to 1.5" in diameter and they HAVE to be DRY. we don't use torque to set them, as it's been shown that the clamping force can very up to 40%. Check out "Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 or A490 Bolts" basically a A325 is a heavy hex grade 5 bolt, and we set them by tightening them down snug, then hitting them with a slug wrench and turning them another

120deg. this is very similar to many head bolts using "torque + 90deg turn", which results in a MUCH more uniform clamping force.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I'm talking when you want to do it the navy way "tight as you can and then 3 turns more" Just in general is what I meant. Like my (wrong) lug nuts. Thanks for the info.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ