92 Yukon: Fuel Pump filter?? How to remove??

I'm replacing the rusted out fuel tank and sender/fuel pump mount unit on my Yukon. The fuel pumps works OK and I plan to reuse it, as I do my own work.
The fuel pump has a long black fuel filter at the bottom. To remove the pump from the sender/mount unit, the filter must be removed. It's not clear to me how it's attached. Just friction into place? I can't see a retainer. .
Before I yank too hard, your advice / experience would be greatly appreciated!
Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage (Back ...In The Woods In Vermont for the Summer)
Vermont. Great Place. Then there's road salt. Years ago the Vermont license plates had the slogan "See Vermont" at the top. This prompted several vanity plates of varying humor. My favorite, on a real beater of a ford pickup:
SEE VERMONT *RUST*
On 14 Jun 2006 19:33:21 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@terryking.us"

you talking about the "sock" filter at the bottom of the fuel pump in the tank? if so that held on by "tight fit" you can remove with a little firm pressure of a flat tip screwdriver.
the real fuel filter is out on the LH frame rail
Get a new ""sock" filter from the parts store....don't reuse the old one. ----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com
Elbert wrote:

That's What I Needed!!
dont yank it, the ring moves and and pump unscrews and its a really painful thing to mess with. Its one of those this that you can move the pump and hold the ring and it all come apart, but everyone I ever messed with left me sweating and swearing. Get a diagram from somewhere to see how its put together like in a chiltons or haynes manual. This will help you know how to take it apart, but its still hard as hell to get off. While your at it be sure to completely wash all the old rust and gummy bears out of the bottom of the old tank. As this is what messed up the last filter and it will still be there unless you get rid of all of it. be careful, hope this helps.
--
JAMES HAYES