93 4.3 W S-10 Blazer Crank Seal?

I just pulled the front pulley on the crank and oil ran out.Does this mean the front timing cover seal is shot?Also will I have to pull it off to replace the seal? Thanks Guys! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

The damper you pulled IS the surface the seal rides on. When you pull it oil WILL leak.

On the oil line question. Most NAPA stores will make up lines.

Reply to
Steve W.

I hadn't pulled the damper,oil came out when I removed the crankshaft bolt.When I pulled the damper the seal was dry.But anyway I installed a new seal in the cover. Thanks! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

That means that they didn't put a LIGHT coat of sealer on the key for the damper when it went on. The oil leaked past the keyway over time and you found it when you pulled the bolt.

Reply to
Steve W.

That explains what must have happen,there is a piece of silicone still stuck in the key way valley in the pulley.Learn something new every day,I never would have thought of that! 200,000 mile seepage. Thanks! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift