93 S-10 Engine Temp

Hi,
I have a 93 S-10 Blazer that appears to have a bad coolant temperature sending unit. The gauge reads 260 degrees even before starting the engine.
I have purchased a thermostat (may as well replace it at the same time) and the coolant temperature sending unit from the local auto supply place. I partially drained the antifreeze last night and took the thermostat and the sending unit located in the water jacket located near the thermostat. I looked at the sending unit that I received from the auto supply place and it has different connectors on it. My question is: Is the sending unit that runs the gauge on the instrument panel located near the thermostat housing or did I remove the wrong sending unit? The auto supply place said that they gave me the correct sending unit, even though the sales slip calls it a Fan Switch.
Thanks,
You likely got the correct one, just looking in the wrong place. Should be replacing the unit in the pass. side head, between the #2 and #4 cylinders.

Thank you,
What is the sending unit located by the thermostat for?

that one's the engine temp SENSOR for the ECU.
-Bret

all of that said, you can buy a 2wd with a limited slip and use it happily for many years. I have done it in my 1975 chevy van, my 2000 xj jeep cherokee, my 1966 ford f250 pickup and others i have owned. just be carefull if the road is icy. john