94 Burban 300,000 miles keep or sell?

I've got a 94 suburan with with 298,000+ miles. Original engine uses no oil. replaced transmission at 195,000 (daughter burnt it towing horse trailer in O'drive) replaced rear axle at 250,000 Rear bearing spun & ruined axle housing. replace A/C compressor 280,000 Belt broke and wiped out electrical connection This runs Ok. Is a little rough but not bad

I think it is great vehicle. Holds full sheet of plywood Reasonable mileage on highway(18 MPG), comfortable seats, Easy to drive. my question is. Whne the engine dies. Should I get a remanufactured engine and keep going or should I trade it while it still runs OK? I really like the machine but don't want to start buying a new car one part at time.I already did that with a 71 Ford PU. Any opinions will be eagerly read.

Reply to
john hawkins

I have a 98 GMC truck that had 278,000 on it when I cracked a head. Put a GMPP 383E stroker engine into it and have never looked back. Now approaching 300k and it runs better than new.

Think about it. Throw another $3000-5000 into something you know the history of, or buy something used you have no idea about, or spend $40k - $50k on a new one that depreciates 40% the first year.

Reply to
Dan

Obviously you guys don't live in any snow/salt belt region.

Don't forget things like metal fatigue, breaking springs, sagging doors/hinges, wearing out window hardware, and all that other peripheral stuff that can nickel and dime you to death.

I have a 1973 Chevy dump truck with only about 18K on the rebuilt engine and excellent care with constant updates of details even to spring hangers by the previous owner.

The thing scares the hell out of me because I know what sudden catastrophic failures can be and just how unpredictable they are even though I put less than 500 miles a year on the thing, usually towing a loaded machinery trailer.

I am able to license and insure the thing 6 months a year, so that's what I do. Next year is the last I'll keep it, simply because of its vintage.

Reply to
nonsense

I went the other route - on my 93 I put in an OEM 5.7L after 230k miles. I thought I needed an engine because of poor performance on my truck, but came to find out those engines really just don't have a lot of power (193HP, I think, even though it's a 4 bolt). I really wish I had payed a few more bucks and gotten a 383 - it would have been ideal. It'll tow my camper and do what I need it to, but nothing more.

So I second going with the 383 if your underbody looks alright. I'm by far not an expert, but I think continuing to use a vehicle and paying for the required repairs is far cheaper than making a payment on a new one each month. If you set aside half of what you'd have for a payment on a new truck each month, you'd have plenty to spend for parts/labor needed on it. Not to mention the insurance savings (I only have liability/no-fault on my truck - if I had a loan I'd have to have full coverage).

--Jeff

Reply to
JeffH